Next Thread
Print Thread
Recently Diagnosed, Starting Humira #283430 07/29/19 07:39 PM
tlp5224 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
HI All,

I was Diagnosed with AS last week and will be starting Humira this week. What should i expect how long before i feel any difference?

Has anyone been able to return to their normal life activities? i'd love to be able to golf, bowl and run again!

I'm trying to see all the positives here and i am also a current AFROTC cadet commissioning this year with a pilot slot. Will the military let me stay in with this condition?

hla-b27 neg, awaiting definite diagnosis, in search of great rheumy in Rochester,NY.
Re: Recently Diagnosed, Starting Humira [Re: tlp5224] #283431 07/29/19 07:48 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I think a reasonable expectation of treatment would be to feel better so that you can get back to life and to reduce the impact of chronic inflammation.

I'm not on this medication. But I lead the Los Angeles spondylitis support group and I know people on this medication and class of medication. Some people say they start feeling better right away (within a couple of days). others have said it took a few months. I have heard that people are surprised to see how much their range of motion improved and how good they do feel. some people didn't feel improvement after a few months and so they tried a different medication.

regarding expectations, I seem to hear that people will still have periods of flares, but perhaps not as extreme or as often.

These are great topics to talk with your doc about.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: Recently Diagnosed, Starting Humira [Re: tlp5224] #283432 07/29/19 08:11 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Unfortunately, AS is on the list of conditions that MAY disqualify you from military service. You should talk to your supervisor/recruiter about it. I believe you must disclose it, or you risk some serious trouble down the road.

As for the biologic, you may feel relief immediately. It's more typical, I think, for your symptoms to gradually improve over a period of weeks and to continue to improve for up to 6 months, at which point you'll hit your point of maximum relief, i.e., the relief you experience at 6 months is likely what you'll continue to experience for as long as the drug continues to work for you. If you have experienced no improvement in symptoms at the 3-month mark, the drug may not work for you at all.

I take Enbrel, rather than Humira, but they're similar. I'm in remission (my rheumy has told me this; I'm not just diagnosing myself), meaning I experience very few symptoms on a day-to-day basis. But I still have flares from time to time, and I cannot run or play golf (or tennis, which would be my preferred sport) because the trauma from those activities increases my pain levels and can trigger flares. I have found other things to do however, which have become as important to me as tennis used to be. Some people do continue to golf, etc. Look at Phil Mickelson, for example. He has psoriatic arthritis and has been on Enbrel for years.

Re: Recently Diagnosed, Starting Humira [Re: tlp5224] #283435 07/30/19 12:14 AM
B
BigDaddio Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
Hi, tlp5224

Sorry to hear about your pain, but it sounds like you are on the right track to managing it. As for activity, usually that is good for AS and other types of inflammatory arthritis. Do you have any fusion yet?

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto