Page 1 of 2 1 2
Numbness and tingling in one foot #283777 11/16/19 12:10 AM
K
KatherineL16 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
K
I started having numbness and tingling plus a feeling of cold in just one foot. It’s the first time I have experienced this. It’s been going on about a week and has gotten more intense. I will be checking in with my rheumy and a neurosurgeon soon, but I wanted to collect some info here before my appointments. Has anyone had a similar issue due to AS or from taking Humira? If so, was it a type of demylenating neuropathy or something else? What treatments helped (stopping Humira, etc)? How long did it take to go away?

Diagnosed AS. HLAB27+. Naproxen, indomethacin, meloxicam, and ibuprofen failed. On Humira (first anti-TNF) since July 2019 with no result so far.
Re: Numbness and tingling in one foot [Re: KatherineL16] #283778 11/16/19 03:28 PM
W
Winston Online
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I had a similar thing happen in one hand and arm, but I'm on Enbrel, not Humira. My rheumy sent me to a neurologist, who ordered an MRI of my brain and nerve conduction testing on both arms. At the end of the day, it was determined to be unrelated to Enbrel. Best we can tell, it was the result of a mild B12 deficiency plus a pinched nerve in my elbow, which may or may not be related to AS inflammation. I started getting B12 shots, and the problem has almost resolved. (It takes a very long time for nerves to heal.) Two years on, I'm still seeing the neurologist regularly to keep an eye on the situation. Make sure they test your B12. It's very common for people with AS and related diseases to develop a deficiency. Pretty standard for neurologists to check that first these days.

Re: Numbness and tingling in one foot [Re: Winston] #283784 11/20/19 05:27 AM
K
KatherineL16 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
K
Thanks, Winston. I'll ask my rheumy to run a B12 test. I'll also be seeing a neuro and will post an update here with any results in case they can be of use to anyone else.

Diagnosed AS. HLAB27+. Naproxen, indomethacin, meloxicam, and ibuprofen failed. On Humira (first anti-TNF) since July 2019 with no result so far.
Re: Numbness and tingling in one foot [Re: KatherineL16] #283786 11/20/19 11:17 AM
A
achala Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
I had similar tingling in the left foot during 2 years long flare of bursitis, it was quite bothersome. Indeed I take B12 every few days in high doses. But somehow I attribute a lot of this recovery to yoga/and other stretching exercises.

diagnosed with AS April 2018, starting with cervical pain/stiffness; Aug 2018 enthesitis/bursitis left Achilles
diagnosed with AAU Nov 2017 (7 flares so far)
Eosinophilic Gastritis
Sulfasalazine 3g 08.2018-05.2019 (worked for AAU & peripheral)
Supplements:C/D, omega 3/Probiotic/ Mediterranean NSD/curcumin
swimming/yoga/pilates
Predonisone in case of another AAU flare
Re: Numbness and tingling in one foot [Re: KatherineL16] #283787 11/20/19 12:48 PM
FayeK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I also have numbness and tingling in one, and sometimes, both feet. I believe it was my first symptom but was originally diagnosed as tendinitis, 10 years ago. I've taken B12 supplements and raise my B12 # but did not help my feet. I wear arch supports in my shoes, which helped some, but this symptom persists. At one point during this process, I was taking Gabapentin and that did help but after a year I developed ptosis in one eye so stopped talking Gabapentin. Before seeing a rheum last spring, my primary care doctor sent me for a nerve conductive study and EMG. I was told I have sciatica, a pinched nerve is causing the numbness and tingling. I'm now diagnosed with AS and have started treatment with Remicade. If that helps the inflammation in my spine, it should relieve the pain and numbness? Anyway, all that was too say, you may have a pinched nerve in your spine. I hope your answer comes with a solution. Best wishes.

Re: Numbness and tingling in one foot [Re: FayeK] #283794 11/22/19 02:56 AM
K
KatherineL16 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
K
Hi both,

Thanks for the very helpful responses. I am in week 3 of the worst pain and inflammation flare I have had, so I am hopeful once I get the inflammation down, the pressure on the nerve will subside and the foot will go back to normal.

FayeK, what did the results of the nerve conduction study and EMG say? Is that how they diagnosed the sciatica?

Re: Numbness and tingling in one foot [Re: KatherineL16] #283795 11/22/19 01:14 PM
D
DadCue Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
D
Katherine16: I have numbness in both feet and lower extremities up to my knees with tingling in my feet only. This tends to wax and wane somewhat but has progressed over the years. About 5 years ago I had an episode of severe lower back pain that radiated down my right leg to my ankle. This persisted for a couple of days until I developed right foot drop and a complete loss of reflexes in my right leg so an MRI was done of my lumbar spine. The MRI revealed severe stenosis at L4-L5 caused by some kind of arthritis and a herniated disc. I quickly received a referral to a spine surgeon who proposed an urgent surgery that would have fused my lumbar spine. The surgeon said "inflammatory arthritis" was likely the cause. He wanted an EMG to further delineate the nerve damage. He simply stated that the nerves from my spine were being "crushed".

The EMG was done but the nerve conduction from my spine to my legs was intact so there was a bit of confusion. The EMG did confirm diffuse peripheral neuropathy in my lower legs. The EMG also revealed damage to the peroneal nerve, which runs behind the knee, was causing the foot drop. It was explained that women tend to have this problem more than men because of crossing their legs.

The other thing that was going on at the time was an infection. Having been diagnosed with reactive arthritis it was thought to have contributed to the problem. In fact, taking prednisone pretty much relieved the pain such that surgery was not considered so urgent. Five years later, I still haven’t had the surgery.

Re: Numbness and tingling in one foot [Re: KatherineL16] #283801 11/24/19 11:32 PM
FayeK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Originally Posted by KatherineL16
FayeK, what did the results of the nerve conduction study and EMG say? Is that how they diagnosed the sciatica?

Yes, that was how they diagnosed the sciatica. Only other results were carpal tunnel in both wrists.

Re: Numbness and tingling in one foot [Re: KatherineL16] #284033 02/11/20 05:01 PM
cipher Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I developed this after an episode of shingles which seemed to wreak havoc with my "electrical system." I woke up one morning with foot drop in my right foot. It developed into paralysis of my right leg (from the knee down) and I also developed the same symptoms in my left leg. I read later that this is considered to be a medical emergency. It was about a year and a half before I was referred to a neurologist (I hope you've seen one by now). I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon who performed back surgery at L5-S1 which was successful for some back pain issues but didn't help the paralysis/neuropathy. I had a biopsy done of my right leg which found no "active" demyelination. The diagnosis was Mononeuritis Multiplex.
I've gotten some movement back in my right foot but still have foot drop. I've recovered movement back in my left foot but I still haven't gotten complete feeling back in either leg after 5 years. I still have the tingling and take Lyrica for the neuropathic pain which was quite severe - felt like a cattle prod on my feet.
I sincerely hope you've gotten some competent help and recover soon. Good luck!

Paul
Re: Numbness and tingling in one foot [Re: DadCue] #284034 02/11/20 05:17 PM
cipher Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
DadCue,

Your symptoms sound almost exactly like mine (see above post). How are you doing? Did you develop neuropathy? It sounds like Guillain-Barre Syndrome or CIDP although I was told that my biopsy found no "active" demyelination. (It was kind of funny - the first neurologist I saw wasn't confident making a diagnosis so she sent me to a doctor specializing in peripheral neuropathy at the University of Utah. I asked her if she had some guess as to what was wrong and she whispered, "CIDP." I thought it odd that she felt she had to whisper.)

Paul
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto