Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions,
PsSpa_M_1989 #284170 03/28/20 07:11 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Originally Posted by PsSpa_M_1989
Originally Posted by Winston

Thank you, Winston, for sharing that article. There is some evidence that Vitamin D can modulate cytokine regulation and prevent critical manifestations of various infections. Before the advent of COVID-19, one research study [1] found that Vitamin D deficiency is an independent risk factor for mortality among critically ill patiens; another research study [2] found that more than 60% of sepsis patients (a possible complication of COVID-19) had Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency correlated with mortality, as did older age.

However, in a research study from last year [3] where very high concentration Vitamin D supplementation was given to critically ill patients with Vitamin D deficiency at presentation, found no clinical effect of increased Vitamin D serum levels. Actually the trial ended early as the Vitamin D group had a slightly higher mortality than the placebo group.

This may suggest different things:

- Vitamin D acts pre-preemptively and long-term, in the acute phase it is too late?
- People with sufficient Vitamin D in general lead healthy lives and less frequently end up at the ICU?
... for example, spend time outdoors and receive Vitamin D from the sun?
... or, eat Vitamin D rich foods, such as eggs, salmon, and fortified milk, which have other health benefits?

Anecdotally, the seasonality of infections in the northern hemisphere - as opposed to the relatively stable annual rate of infections in countries closer to the equator, may suggest that it is better to take Vitamin D supplementation than not to take it, especially during the winter.

[1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4449478/
[2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6377223/
[3] https://acphospitalist.org/weekly/archives/2019/12/18/2.htm

I know anecdotes are just that, anecdotal. That said, we live in a latitude that means good doctors test their patients' Vitamin D levels in blood work. Many here (northern half of US) are deficient.

My husband used to average about 4 or 5 colds a winter When the original round of Vitamin D research came out, his blood tests showed his D level was very low. He was supplemented, his levels came up, and after that he averages perhaps 1 to 2 colds per winter.

Nothing else in our lifestyles changed. So I am not at all convinced that there is a correlation between D levels and healthy lifestyles (after all, those of us who work have trouble getting enough sunlight to keep our D levels high enough most of the year even if we are otherwise active). I do think that D plays an independent role in modulating the immune system so it works better. And I've made sure we both take our supplements every day.

Considering how it likely works, I would not expect it to make much difference if given after acute illness of any kind is already underway.

46, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi
Mary Beth #284171 03/29/20 02:16 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Originally Posted by Mary Beth
I know anecdotes are just that, anecdotal. That said, we live in a latitude that means good doctors test their patients' Vitamin D levels in blood work. Many here (northern half of US) are deficient.

My husband used to average about 4 or 5 colds a winter When the original round of Vitamin D research came out, his blood tests showed his D level was very low. He was supplemented, his levels came up, and after that he averages perhaps 1 to 2 colds per winter.

Nothing else in our lifestyles changed. So I am not at all convinced that there is a correlation between D levels and healthy lifestyles (after all, those of us who work have trouble getting enough sunlight to keep our D levels high enough most of the year even if we are otherwise active). I do think that D plays an independent role in modulating the immune system so it works better. And I've made sure we both take our supplements every day.

Considering how it likely works, I would not expect it to make much difference if given after acute illness of any kind is already underway.

Good choice Mary Beth! Happy to learn that your husband has fewer colds. My mother has supplemented with Vitamin D for many years and she has told me the same thing. Fewer respiratory infections with Vitamin D.

I started Vitamin D supplementation last year, after I understood its potential benefits. By the way - I am in San Francisco, white, and at worst I had 18 ng/ml of Vitamin D in my blood (slightly deficient). It was after a cloudy winter here. I spend most of my time indoors, except when I am riding my bike to work. :-)

Below is good video, a Doctor discusses the results of an extensive British study regarding the effects of Vitamin D supplementation on upper respiratory infections:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5y...aCrsNSLqxstpm_6u_hQTOFCOFKWk9ytTG23CRo2c

Last edited by PsSpa_M_1989; 03/29/20 02:17 AM.

Background: 32 yr old male
Symptoms: Ps (scalp, elbows, knees) since 2000; PsSpa (neck, sacroiliac joint) since 2015
Dx: Osteoarthritis Aug, 2017; PsSpa Nov, 2018
Treatment: Meloxicam, Nov 2018-Jan 2019; Naproxen, Jan 2019-Jun 2019; Humira, Jun 2019-Present
KristineCallender #284172 04/01/20 03:13 PM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
This is the best, most informative article I've read to date on how asymptomatic people transmit the virus (it IS airborne, contrary to what some health authorities keep saying) and on the benefits of wearing masks in public: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...ndemic-airborne-go-outside-masks/609235/

KristineCallender #284173 04/01/20 04:49 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
For weeks we have known that the virus is partially airborne in droplets. The explosive contagion convinced us that in spite of our uninformed and chatty Surgeon General's opinion, we would begin wearing masks. Incredulously we took flak from administrative managers. We protested, they backed down. At one point I was wearing an N95 on my unit which works with Co-Vid positive patients and was told that I was not authorized to use one since none of my patients were having droplet producing procedures. It was the first time in 30 years as a nurse that anything like this has occurred.

We live in times where opinions rumors and allegations are taken as fact and worse as truth. We have a Surgeon General who is not bright. WHO does not feel that this virus shows local transmission aka airborne. However, there is enough evidence that within close contact it is.

Several days later I took an FMLA for my wife's surgery and we remain at home. I am not ill nor symptomatic.

Thank you Winston for your insight.

Last edited by WhiteCell; 04/01/20 04:50 PM.

Diagnosed 2001 after years of joint pain. Remicade started 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Iritis.Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006 > DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
>Ahmed Shunt 2016 >DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Angina and stent placement 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
KristineCallender #284174 04/01/20 06:15 PM
R
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
R
I really appreciate the SAA’s great info on COVID-19:

https://spondylitis.org/coronavirus/

I had no idea that HLA-B27 offers some advantage in immune response to some viruses. Maybe the gene has persisted because, say, our ancestors were more likely to survive flu etc

I am sure there will be regular updates as more information becomes available.

Rach

"Knowledge is power" - Francis Bacon
"Try all things, and hold on to that which is good" - Thomas Jefferson
KristineCallender #284175 04/01/20 06:21 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
Hang on a second. That would be contradictory to what Dr. Oxiris Barbot, commissioner of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene said in the couple of interviews some weeks back, encouraging people to join the parade, no?
I have been following closely the spread of this virus since mid Jan in China every day, reading some papers and news, and it looked quite serious back then. Some of the more experienced WHO official like Mike Ryan for example (experience fighting Ebola for many years) were advocating for aggressive eradication of the virus, but some even yesterday reassured wearing a mask is not good for you. Couple of days back i ve seen a press conference of chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam in Canada saying not to wear masks in public as it increases your chances of catching corona-virus! At the same time wife of former president of Czech Republic advocating for her campaign of making masks in Prague (where masks became mandatory and Check exponential curve flattened).
5 days ago we have 250k cases globally, 3 days later 500k, today we have 870k globally. Half of the world is under some kind of mandatory or voluntary movement restriction.
The choice is yours. I wear a mask.

diagnosed with AS April 2018, starting with cervical pain/stiffness; Aug 2018 enthesitis/bursitis left Achilles
diagnosed with AAU Nov 2017 (7 flares so far)
Eosinophilic Gastritis
Sulfasalazine 3g 08.2018-05.2019 (worked for AAU & peripheral)
Supplements:C/D, omega 3/Probiotic/ Mediterranean NSD/curcumin
swimming/yoga/pilates
Predonisone in case of another AAU flare
KristineCallender #284176 04/01/20 08:59 PM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Finally, some data: https://ecancer.org/en/journal/arti...ystematic-review-of-current-evidence/pdf

Warning: When you click on the link, it's going to download a .pdf file to your machine -- a research paper from a reliable source entitled "Associations between immune-suppressive and stimulating drugs and novel COVID-19—a systematic review of current evidence."

Last edited by Winston; 04/01/20 09:10 PM. Reason: added something
KristineCallender #284177 04/01/20 09:55 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Again, thanks Winston.

Diagnosed 2001 after years of joint pain. Remicade started 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Iritis.Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006 > DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
>Ahmed Shunt 2016 >DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Angina and stent placement 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Winston #284182 04/08/20 05:07 PM
F
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
F
Originally Posted by Winston
Maybe we should do our own case study. If I catch the virus, I promise to check in often (if I'm able) and let you know what I'm experiencing. Maybe you'll do the same?

Checking in... No virus currently. My husband and I've been self isolating since mid-January, we're retired. Only leave home for medical appointments and twice for groceries ordered online and delivered to my car. We have ordered items delivered to our home also. I haven't been as strict as I probably should be about cleaning items before bringing them indoors, I just don't have the energy. I throw away bags-boxes right away. I wash my hands-arms before-after touching plus clean items while preparing them. Daily disinfecting is usually every few days. I hope that's going to be enough?!

I went for my Remicade infusion on Monday April 6th, they gave me a private room, yay. Our area is ordering everyone to wear masks in public. The only mask I had was a leftover from years ago, slightly dirty but unused N95, I apologized repeatly to my nurse but she was so kind, reassuring me that I did the right thing in wearing it. She even told me how to sanitize it and suggested I wear a scarf over it to protect it and ease feeling scorned by others because N95s are suppose to be worn only by medical workers.

I've taken D3 supplements for years because I don't like milk. You need D to absorb calcium hence it is added to milk. I like the theory that doing so may help me stay healthy if I get Covid 19.

I do stop by to read the forum regularly even if I don't post often. Hope others will check in healthy but if not please check in when you are able.
All the best,
Faye

Last edited by FayeK; 04/08/20 05:10 PM. Reason: Typo
KristineCallender #284185 04/10/20 10:39 PM
F
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
F

Sharing an article I found helpful written by a nurse with RA that got covid19.

https://ghlf.us8.list-manage.com/tr...d6fbc&id=92f7d18e3f&e=d5373109e2

Stay safe.
Faye

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard