Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shoulder pain #284284 05/27/20 02:18 PM
WhiteCell Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
I typically do yard work and for the last two years my shoulders have ached after. I have used ice, and my PT uses ultrasound but the pain returns. At it's worst it's 8/10 sharp. My Rheum has suggested cortisone shot to the area. Has anyone here received that type of treatment. How were your results?

Thanks in advance.

Diagnosed AS 2001.Remicade 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006 > DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
>Ahmed Shunt 2016 >DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Cardiac Stent to RCA 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Re: Shoulder pain [Re: WhiteCell] #284285 05/27/20 03:01 PM
A
achala Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
I have a similar pb with the right shoulder since 2 or 3 months (stemming back from basketball injury long time ago). Recently pain area enlarged to triceps more into the direction where it meets the elbow. Still I do the side planks yoga positions even with pain. It hurts especially when twisting the hand to the right, hearing popping sound in the shoulder. I hope it passes. Otherwise not sure what to do either.
My brother got couple of shots of cortisol in between vertebrates recently, helps for 2 - 3 weeks and then comes back.
I dont think stopping movement whatsoever is a good idea, but I am thinking micro movements trying to pin point exactly the issue, and then perform exercise alignments to work out the pb. no doctor helped me so far, not looking for one then...

diagnosed with AS April 2018, starting with cervical pain/stiffness; Aug 2018 enthesitis/bursitis left Achilles
diagnosed with AAU Nov 2017 (7 flares so far)
Eosinophilic Gastritis
Sulfasalazine 3g 08.2018-05.2019 (worked for AAU & peripheral)
Supplements:C/D, omega 3/Probiotic/ Mediterranean NSD/curcumin
swimming/yoga/pilates
Predonisone in case of another AAU flare
Re: Shoulder pain [Re: WhiteCell] #284286 05/27/20 08:28 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
haven't had it done in my shoulder. shots elsewhere -taken when desperate- had modest results. If I'm reading this right, the treatment guidelines expressed an opinion on this. https://www.rheumatology.org/Portal...ment%20of%20Ankylosing%20Spondylitis.pdf

If it's always with yard work, then perhaps figure out what exactly is causing it and make an adjustment. perhaps switch it for something you enjoy. I gave up personally doing the mowing so that I would have more time for vegetable garden work. not crazy about hiring a gardener to mow, but wife's idea that I'm now grateful for.

Hope that helps.

Achala, I can relate... it would be difficult for me to loose sideplanks entirely from my yoga practice. Again, worth exploring making modifications. Please let me know if you find a solution. I don't have that issue, but always like learning how ppl with Spondylitis adjust their yoga.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: Shoulder pain [Re: WhiteCell] #284298 06/04/20 07:47 PM
A
achala Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
Hey, During this 3 months lockdown (ok I was able to escape for 3 weeks and isolate in the mountains - bad boy) and in Eruope we really had a lockdown, because normally I swim every couple of days (and this went bye bye), I pushed Vinyasa hard. But as with surfing last summer I found out the hard way beating AS in its own game is not the right approach perhaps. So I back down, go back to basics, little ground work, cobras,, pigeons, hero (my favourite), neck, shoulder micro movement work, down dogs up dogs.. etc, learning diaphragmatic breathing (although read from one from seitai master, unattended prana belly breathing can be dangerous for newbies). Bought new walking shoes for the park walks, growing my 4 little bonsai trees on the balcony. All chill before the big hit to greece where I plan to swim 3 times a day, do yoga, walk up the hills in my new shoes ever day! Of course if my alter ego allows me.... smile

Last edited by achala; 06/04/20 11:43 PM.

diagnosed with AS April 2018, starting with cervical pain/stiffness; Aug 2018 enthesitis/bursitis left Achilles
diagnosed with AAU Nov 2017 (7 flares so far)
Eosinophilic Gastritis
Sulfasalazine 3g 08.2018-05.2019 (worked for AAU & peripheral)
Supplements:C/D, omega 3/Probiotic/ Mediterranean NSD/curcumin
swimming/yoga/pilates
Predonisone in case of another AAU flare
Re: Shoulder pain [Re: WhiteCell] #284301 06/17/20 08:52 AM
G
Golanist Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
Hi
haven't been around in a while and just saw your question.
If still relevant.....
I've had numerous shots to numerous joints including both shoulders.
If you can avoid the movements that aggravate your shoulder that would be the best thing to do.
However, if you have chronic shoulder pain than the injections can be very beneficial.
I had gotten to the point where I had marked limitation in my left shoulder and then in both.
The steroid injections were a life saver for me and the effect lasted 3-6 months.
Good luck and I hope you get good relief ASAP.

Re: Shoulder pain [Re: WhiteCell] #284302 06/18/20 01:52 AM
WhiteCell Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
Thanks for your insight. I have been using a TENS unit and it is helpful. I have postponed the injection until necessary but my Rheum is able and willing....

Diagnosed AS 2001.Remicade 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006 > DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
>Ahmed Shunt 2016 >DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Cardiac Stent to RCA 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Re: Shoulder pain [Re: WhiteCell] #284307 06/19/20 04:59 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
WhiteCell, thanks for the follow up email. I always like reading what people end up doing and how it works out for them.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto