Print Thread
About to start Cosentyx
#284288 05/28/20 11:44 PM
A
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
A
Hi. I am about to start Cosentyx shortly. I was on Humira for 3 years which worked perfectly for my AS until unfortunately it caused me small fiber neuropathy 6 months ago. Does the fact that Humira worked so well for my AS make it likely that Cosentyx wont work well or it there no relationship.

Re: About to start Cosentyx
Anthony777 #284289 05/30/20 03:13 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Sorry about the small fiber neuropathy. I don't have the experience myself with transitioning from Humira to Cosentyx. However, in a few years I might be in your shoes needing to transition to Cosentyx.

The mechanism of action of the two drugs are different. Humira reduces the cytokine TNF-alpha while Cosentyx reduces the cytokine IL-17. So the two drugs interact with your immune system in different ways.

The way I understand it, there is really no way to know (with the present state of DNA research and medicine) whether TNF-alpha or IL-17 inhibition will work better in a particular patient. Most studies that came out this far seem to indicate that the effects of the two drugs are comparable with spondylitis patients at large
Perhaps some studies point to less axial joint damage (long term) with Cosentyx, in addition to a small increased chance of reaching remission or near-remission results.

Background: 31 yr old male
Symptoms: Ps (scalp, elbows, knees) since 2000; PsSpa (neck, sacroiliac joint) since 2015
Dx: Osteoarthritis Aug, 2017; PsSpa Nov, 2018
Treatment: Meloxicam, Nov 2018-Jan 2019; Naproxen, Jan 2019-Jun 2019; Humira, Jun 2019-Present
Anthony777 #284300 06/17/20 08:42 AM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
Hi Anthony,
I also was on Humira for a couple of years that worked great initially but then the effectiveness declined.
Switched to enbrell for a couple of years which also was great until it wasn't.
About a year and a half ago I started on cosentyx 150 mg every 4 wks. It was good but not good enough and then up to 300 mg every 4 wks and it's really good.
I have AS & PsA with both axial involvement and a lot of peripheral stuff too.
The cosentyx is GREAT! Not to say that there's no pain or limitations - there definitely are, but it's so much more manageable than before.
Another advantage of the cosentyx over the humira.... the shots don't hurt as much.
Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Anthony777 #284306 06/19/20 04:56 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
don't have experience taking biologics, but I'm pretty familiar with them. Humira took out the substance that caused the shot pain. The new treatment recommendations do suggest an IL17 if a TNF is no longer effective. you can read the recommendation brochure for free on this page: https://spondylitis.org/resources-support/literature/

Hope you find a safe and effective treatment. would appreciate hearing how it goes.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Anthony777 #284322 06/23/20 06:19 AM
A
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
A
Thanks. I havent started the Cosentyx yet. Its not funded here so I have to pay for it myself and are still going through the process. Golanist how are the side affects compared to the TNF's.

Anthony777 #284323 06/26/20 12:35 AM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I actually just made the switch from Humara to Cosentyx about 3 months ago. No problems. The Humara burned out (I am apparently a fast metabolizer - lucky me) so I have switched every few years. The ONLY drug you cannot go back on is Remicade so if you ever use Remicade ride that out as long as you can. I actually tried going back on it and ended up in the ER.

I find Cosentyx works better than any of them. I have had good luck with it and hope I can make it last several years. Although my AS is pretty advanced and I still have to use other medications to control the pain etc I think it's the best injection I have been on. Definitely do it. Your first month you have to do a shot a week and then you go to once a month. The needles are smaller than Humara so they don't hurt as much which is nice (I don't use self injectors).

Cosentyx seems to be a very promising drug for AS and I have had good luck with it. I do feel better now with Cosentyx so I am going to stay on it. The only one that didn't work for me was Siponi.

Anthony777 #284458 09/25/20 09:21 AM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Cosentyx is great. Switched from Humara and it works great for me.

Anthony777 #284534 12/05/20 05:35 PM
D
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
D
I switched from Humira (after about ten years) to cosentyx in July 2020. Here’s the weird thing: my knees (which have a lot of osteoarthritis because of sports in my younger years) were majorly inflamed. They had never been affected by my AS before. The cosentyx banged that inflammation out of the park! But I’ve noticed no positive changes in the rest of my body...yet. Hopeful.

Check out pat's music
my website

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard