Print Thread
Gabapentin
#284479 10/14/20 12:35 AM
J
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Has anyone with AS tried gabapentin. It seems to have loosened up my joints and relaxed tight muscles giving me more flexibility.

Re: Gabapentin
jrprusak #284480 10/14/20 01:33 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
no, I haven't tried it. Glad you find it helpful. I do see a lot of results when I search for the term 'gabapentin' on these forums.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
jrprusak #284481 10/14/20 02:13 PM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I used the similar drug pregabalin (Lyrica) early in my disease process. Both drugs are anti-convulsants that are also used to treat nerve pain in, e.g., MS and shingles patients. No one really knows how they work. They are sometimes prescribed off-label for chronic back pain, although there is little evidence they actually work in that context. They are not anti-inflammatories; so I don't think they can actually "loosen" your joints. What I found was that Lyrica helped me sleep better, which may have had the effect of reducing inflammation and making me feel better. It may also have just been the placebo effect, which I'm completely okay with. If it works, it works. I stopped using the drug when I started a biologic because I started to experience some side effects. In particular, I found that I had trouble recalling words and names and started having trouble with short-term memory in general. So be careful with it. They are addictive drugs with potential for abuse. Work with your doctor when going off it, as you can't quit it cold turkey.

jrprusak #284482 10/14/20 10:43 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I used gabapentin for awhile for meralgia paraesthetica(a type of neuropathy) caused by taking a statin. I then went on to use it for a severely frozen shoulder. It was the only way my arm would stop throbbing so I could sleep. Danielle

25 years a pharmacist HLAB27+(thanks dad!)iritis at 17, plantar fasciitis at 22, sacroiliitis at 25,first image at 31,diagnosis of AS at 48(hello medical community!!) it's all been downhill since Taltz, Celebrex,Trazodone,Tramadol,benztropine(antispasmodic), high Omega3,A&D to tame immune system,quercetin,bromelain) previous meds were Enbrel Humira Simponi, biggest issues are subacromial bursitis and weight gain on biologics. As of Nov 2021 seropositive RA
jrprusak #284520 11/29/20 08:20 PM
F
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
F
I was taking gabapentin for over a year about 6 years ago. It helped tremendously with peripheral neuropathy. I had to go off it when I developed side effects. It has been around for a long time and has many off label uses. I also tried Lyrica but even the weakest dose available caused vertigo.

jrprusak #284629 01/27/21 01:18 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
The problem that everyone has with Lyrica is that it blows your short term memory. It helps with a lot of the constant pain that drives you nuts, but that one side effect is bad. I used to find myself in a middle of a conversation only to forget what i was talking about.

jrprusak #284655 02/11/21 04:35 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I have found that gabapentin is helpful for neuropathy as well as the overall achiness, it doesn't help me with the bad joint pain or back pain.

๐Ÿ’žEvery day is a gift ๐Ÿ’ž
jrprusak #284846 08/13/21 12:31 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I took it for a while but found it didn't help much. There is a new version called Horizant which is a new formulation that is extended release so it works throughout the day. You may want to check that out.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard