Print Thread
temporomandibular joints
#284808 06/15/21 12:22 PM
J
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Anyone have issues with their jaw joints?

Re: temporomandibular joints
jrprusak #284809 06/15/21 01:08 PM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I do, from time to time. It isn't constant. I also frequently suffer from vertigo, which I think is related, although the doctors don't seem to understand how it's all connected. For what it's worth, dentists have the best equipment to image that area of the body. My dentist has told me to come in anytime I'm experiencing a flare in that area so she can xray me and try to catch it on imaging.

jrprusak #284810 06/15/21 05:42 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hello, jrprusak:

When my AS was active I had TMJ pain and usually the inflammation made it impossible to close my mouth. It was not symmetrically oriented; usually one side would be worse than the other. Unable to open very wide and unable to close fully. Moderately common in AS. I have some damage now that results in occasional "clicking," but haven't had any inflammation there for many years.

HEALTH,

John

Nota Bene: I am not a medical doctor, and my views do not represent the opinions of the SAA
AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

jrprusak #284811 06/15/21 08:42 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I don't personally have this issue. however, it can be related to AS & meds.

'There are secondary effects of drug therapy that may cause dry mouth, infection or jaw bone degeneration. Secondary osteoporosis can even affect the jaw bone and the joint that allows movement of the mandible.'

https://spondylitis.org/spondylitis-plus/ankylosing-spondylitis-and-dentistry/

The author/dentist of this article is also a support group leader. his contact information is on this page: https://spondylitis.org/resources-support/support-resources/support-groups/bridgewater/

Hope this is helpful,

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard