Healthcare is a JOKE and I'm DONE
#284860 08/27/21 08:58 AM
M
mpc2012 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I am done with doctors and the healthcare system in the US. The entire system is a for profit joke. Doctors go into the field to get rich now and don't care about patients. Medications are so expensive no one can afford them. I have a PLATINUM ($950 mo) Blue Shield policy because I know I need biologics and they don't cover anything anymore. My doctor orders an MRI - DENIED. Prescribes medicine - DENIED. I fight them every month to get my Cosentyx. And with rare exception, most doctors are either so disillusioned with the system or greedy they all suck now (Except my Rhemy is good). My other doctor - who was a real doctor - retired.

I just went to see a doctor today, sent in all the paperwork and asked twice if they take my insurance. "Yes, come in". So I get there and they tell me their front office person made a mistake and they don't take my insurance but I can pay $600 cash to see the doctor. Now I am getting shaken down by doctors! People like us with chronic conditions don't fit in the system anymore. Doctors don't want to deal with difficult patients anymore b/c it makes them feel powerless and inept. Since they can't do anything to help you, it crushes their fragile egos so they would rather see someone easier.

I have come to the conclusion today that doctors don't give two craps about helping you. They just want the money. The idea of a doctor taking some "oath" is a dead concept. I am sorry to be so negative but it's the truth and you know it. Everyone who has this disease deals with terrible doctors, bad treatment, high drug costs and horrible high priced insurance. I pay almost $40,000 a year for my + families insurance and what do you get for it? DENIALS! My wife fractured her foot and the insurance wouldn't cover an MRI. I just paid cash. I can probably bring my yearly costs down to $25k a year on a cheaper policy but get ready for more denials and more co-pays and out of pocket. On my $950mo policy I still have an $8000 out of pocket deductible!

I am almost on the verge of getting basic policies that cover nothing and paying cash for everything since I am already paying $40k a year. You know how much I can get for $40k a year cash!! People like us need to demand this broken system change. The US is the biggest joke of healthcare - and I know because I traveled internationally for 10 years and ended up in a hospital in France and other countries. In France, not only did they only charge me $120 for the 1 day hospital stay, they paid for my cab!! Everything was covered by the government even though I wasn't even a citizen! And the doctors and staff were amazing.

You have no idea how bad healthcare is here until you go to Europe. Yes, there are problem with the EU systems but here you have to rob a dam bank to afford treatment. What good is not waiting for treatment when you can't afford it? I have pretty much given up on putting any faith in doctors or this joke of a system helping me anymore.

Last edited by mpc2012; 08/27/21 09:01 AM.
Re: Healthcare is a JOKE and I'm DONE
mpc2012 #284862 08/27/21 04:44 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
thank you for sharing this post. I think it is very important and a lot of people in the SpA community probably feel like something is off, but are used to the system. I work at SAA on advocacy, can we talk a bit more? I'd like to see about creating a campaign around this issue. Your 'voice' is very clear and passionate. advocacy@spondylitis.org

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
mpc2012 #284863 08/27/21 08:51 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Thank you so much for posting. I have been dealing with the exact same issue with the same insurance. Also, I have the same doctor story. They won’t even try to change my treatments despite knowing I’ve been desperate for 20 years due to the pain. I’ve felt hopeless and more fearful of having to stay alive in this pain than ever worrying about death.

Plus, a few bad apples have ruined it for pain patients. Those drug seekers have ruined our lives and I loved the article in SAA about it. I have no idea why policy makers would like to hinder the real patients.

I’ve needed help because I’m too ill to fight insurance and have spent a fortune. There is a terribly unethical bill or law called ARISA and it’s common when your insurance is through your job. Lawyers don’t want to help our cases because they can’t be awarded damages and it’s very hard to go up against ARISA. How did this crazy thing get passed that clearly favors insurance companies?! I’ve wondered if I should spend the extra money to be dropped from my husband’s work policy in case they won’t deny as much and I could fight them with lawyers.

I recently heard that you should send letters to the department of managed healthcare and things might change. I remember when I felt grateful to be ill in America because insurance was amazing to me before Obama changed things. Blue Shield is unethical. They have even denied services because I had two appointments in one day! I have spent a lot out of pocket, but they only will apply like $12 towards my deductible for a $200 per week service and absolutely nothing towards my deductible for a $300 a week service. In their eyes, I haven’t met the deductible even though I’ve long surpassed it. This is beyond wrong. If I weren’t so ill, I would put so much effort into making the general public aware of the dire situation.

mpc2012 #284864 08/28/21 12:10 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
If you will send me a PM I may be able to assist.

Diagnosed 2001 after years of joint pain. Remicade started 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Iritis.Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006 > DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
>Ahmed Shunt 2016 >DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Angina and stent placement 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard