Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mental health
#284870 09/01/21 07:29 AM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
has anyone else suffered the mental health deterioration?
I am going crazy with all the pain and a shut in I have become and no socialization. Add to that personal shyness, which is most likely due to the fact I know I cannot be talkative like others, neither can I do most of the fun activities.. I thought I would be like this at the age of 80 but it came much earlier..
how do you tackle mental health issues.. I have some appointments coming up with a psychologist and a psychiatrist, not sure what to look for..
Social isolation is one of the things which many sick people have to go through. I am personally aware of many sick people who are left on their own as they age....I guess it is just one of the things which sooner or later some of us have to face..

Male, early 30s. AS diagnosed Sep 2015. HLAB27+
Current medicines: Omeprazole, Vit D3, Celecoxib(1 tab)/Zorvolex(2 tabs)(alternatimg between these two every week), Pyridoxine, Isoniazid, MTX(3 tab) every wednesday, on humira every two weeks since Dec 2015, Weekly Humira since June 18th 2016
On cosentyx 300mg a month since Dec '16
Re: mental health
Shippingnews #284872 09/01/21 02:20 PM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I read your entry in the post about dog ownership and understand your concerns about that given your physical limitations, but I also think getting a small dog may be very good for you right now. Dogs are hard work for sure. They need exercise. They need training. They need socialization. They will pee and poop on your floor and chew up your house if you don't provide the exercise, training, and socialization that they need. But, in return, they give you unconditional love, companionship, distraction from your physical pain, and, often, an instant community of other dog owners.

Shippingnews #284874 09/01/21 05:03 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
agree completely with Winston re dog. in a casual conversation, one renown Rheum told me that people with AS should not have dogs (because of the risk of falling). To me this rheum completely missed the mark. My dog is amazing. My wife got the dog and i was bitter at first because of the disruption of my routine. i was the only one walking/picking up the poop/going to training/etc. Now I love every minute of it.

I have seen a psychologist over the years. Dr. Yu once told me that being told of an AS diagnosis is itself a traumatic event. I think seeing a therapist is not something discussed often, but is actually common for people with AS. Especially for people that have the means to do so. I was on the set filming This AS Life Live, and someone with AS mentioned seeing a psychologist. it turned out everyone in the room -at the time that had AS- was doing that as well. I thought I was the only one. If you are in New Mexico, there are two psychologists (both PhDs) that have AS and are wonderful. They are public about having AS. search spondylitis.org for Nemes and Maines.

When COVID's stay at home kicked in, I started seeing a psychologist through telemedicine on a consistent basis. it's been extremely beneficial. my health insurance does not charge a copay for telehealth psychology appointments during covid.

sorry to ramble. hope some of this is useful.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Shippingnews #284876 09/01/21 08:41 PM
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
Thanks.. Winston and Rahmba.. I will try again for a small dog...yea it will surely be a huge change in my life...
Rahmba- you are not rambling. This is useful. Why did I not think about tele medicine.. my local psychologists are always booked for a year..
and I was hesitant to talk to someone over a video call since, they won't get to assess my situation. Seems like I will not be the first one to use telemedicine, and others have used it to their advantage too.

Male, early 30s. AS diagnosed Sep 2015. HLAB27+
Current medicines: Omeprazole, Vit D3, Celecoxib(1 tab)/Zorvolex(2 tabs)(alternatimg between these two every week), Pyridoxine, Isoniazid, MTX(3 tab) every wednesday, on humira every two weeks since Dec 2015, Weekly Humira since June 18th 2016
On cosentyx 300mg a month since Dec '16
Shippingnews #284886 09/17/21 07:52 AM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
First off, having someone tell you to get rid of your dog is insane. Dogs are great because they make you more socially interactive. No one is going to tell you the truth anymore unfortunately. We live in a white washed world where truth is not truth. I have gone through two suicide watches at hospitals because the pain was so bad I almost jumped off the hospitals' roof. A security guard caught me at the last minute.

This is the cold hard truth - none of the medications you are on help with pain. They reduce inflammation. AS = pain. Back in the 90's up to about 8 years ago before the media started having stroke over pain medicine, many people took pain meds responsibly and were given a normal life back. Myself included. Some people have so much pain there aren't other options. I have tried weed, kratom, diets, every prescription known to man, doubling my Cyb shots, etc. The only thing that brings the noise down is pain killers. Now why did doctors happly prescribe pain killers for people like us for over 30+ years without any issues and then all of a sudden they are the devil! Because the DEA has too much power and doesn't care about those truly suffering.

I am still on them as my Rheumatologist had told my pain doctors they are out of options (who is a highly respected Rhemy) and not some pill pusher and I still have problems. The cold hard truth is for those in a level of pain you cannot control with other methods need pain medications to function a near normal life as possible. Don't want to take them, then live as well as you can while dealing wih the pain nagging in your head 24/7 every day. I don't care how many cumbias they ask you to sign, physical therapy or other BS they come up with but it won't work. By all means try it.

There's no magical solution here. I looked for it for 10 years.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard