Cured of AS after 20+ years!
#284890 09/17/21 09:32 PM
J
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Dear fellow suffers of AS,
Most of us have been told that AS is an incurable disease, and we will have to live with it the rest of our lives. That is what I believed before my life was changed June 2021. I am now completely cured of AS and off all medications. This is my story, and there are thousands of others just like me with a similar story. You may be able to end our AS also, and it only takes a 30 day test you can do yourself, and it cost nothing other than radically changing you diet.

I am a 57 year old man, who has suffered with autoimmune disease since I was 24 years old, and was diagnosed with AS when I was 2011. I was completely disabled and placed on SSDI in 2010. From age 24 to 40 I worked full-time as an engineer, but I would have symptoms that would come and go (diagnosed by doctors as autoimmune caused pericarditis) which also caused debilitation fatigue.

By 2004 the fatigue was so bad that I resigned from my job with ExxonMobil to rest, thinking that would make me better. But I continued to get worse. By 2009 I was completely on my back sick with a long list of symptoms in addition to the fatigue: difficulty breathing and shortness of breath, painful joints, terrible headache, swollen painful glands, lung pleurisy, numbness in hands, heart irregular heartbeat, episodes of extreme blurry vision in one eye (blindness in one eye), insomnia, etc. In 2012 the terrible S.I. joint pain started, and heel pain of AS.

Before I was diagnosed with AS, they had diagnosed me with possible Lupus. In 2011 I was started on biologics. I tried several biologics, and they would work great for 1 month, then stop working. In 2012 they found that Simponi infusions worked, so then I was on that for many years. The pain was so bad, I had to be on opioids pain meds (Methadone – was on 35mg/day for years) to keep the pain bearable.

Then, in Spring 2021 I had one of my worst flare-ups ever. The linings of many organs flared up. The lining of my brain flared, causing a rare cerebrospinal fluid leak and unbelievable painful low-pressure headache. The brain surgeons at the Seattle hospital did not know how they could fix the problem. Additionally the flare was caused my heart arrhythmia to flare up, along with periods of blindness in my right eye. In the ER they gave me injection of Prednisone and 40mg/d Pred which made my vision come back and heart to beat normally, and the pain to be more manageable.

My brother, who is MD, sent me a copy of a book written by Jordan Peterson and his daughter Mikhaila Peterson, who were both cured of autoimmune disease and mental illness by changing to a carnivore diet (meat only diet). On May 28th I read the book and decided to try it for 30 days. It was an elimination diet, then after 30 days I slowly added foods back, one at a time. I also started researching online this special diet, and I discovered that over the last 5 to 10 years, medical science has discovered that a diet high in carbohydrates (especially all the grains) and sugars (fruit or man-made), allow certain types of bad bacteria to live in the gut, which for some people, causes autoimmune diseases by triggering an autoimmune response. By changing the diet to meat, animal fats, and cooked vegetables, but little to no sugar – these “bad” bacteria die off, and different type of bacteria then live in the gut, which do not trigger the autoimmune response. The book of Dr. Paul Salandino MD, The Carnivore Code, explains medically how it works.

After 3 weeks on this diet, I was able to reduce my Prednisone by 50%, and reduce my pain meds! I found that if I ate any (even just 1 teaspoon) of rice, wheat, or corn (products), I would have a dramatic autoimmune reaction (starting 5 hrs after eating the food, that would last 48 hours). I also found I had extreme reactions to garlic, egg whites, any tree nuts, and uncooked vegetables.

By going off all plant based food for 30 days, I was able to start with a clean slate to find out what foods I could and could not eat. (I eat a lot of steaks, hamburger patties, chicken, etc.)

After 4 weeks on the diet, my CSF brain leak stopped. After 6 weeks, I was able to reduce my Methadone pain med to only 5mg/day, and the Prednisone to 10mg/day. My energy came back and I was able to go back to work full-time and I discontinued SSDI disability. By 60 days in the diet, I reduced the Prednisone to zero. After 90 days, I was down to zero Methadone pain med that I had been on for 365/days per year for the last 10 years! After 111 days on the diet I had tapered my Celebrex (NSAID) to zero!

Now I am 100% healthy and taking no medications (other than some sleeping meds which I’m in the process of tapering to zero)! I am working full-time. It is a miracle for which I am grateful to God, and I never thought was possible.

I no longer need to see a Rheumatologist or a pain management doctor. I told them “Good bye” for the last time. My Rheumatologist told me this is the newest thing in Rheumatology – how diet makes these diseases go into remission forever. From my research, it seems that possibly 50% of people with autoimmune diseases could be caused by their diet.

I would have never accepted such a radical change in my diet if I hadn’t been in so much pain. But God allowed me to have such a bad flare in March-June 2021 so that I would be willing to radically change my diet – so that I could experience health like never before. I am now the healthiest I’ve been in 30 years, like before I had any disease! Even the medical community (MDs) are now accepting these findings, and have a new specialty called “functional medicine.”

My advice to you is: 1. Do your own research. 2. Don’t just believe MDs who have been away from med school for a long time, meet with some younger MDs who are up on the latest research. 3. Be willing to give yourself the 30-day challenge – you could always go back to your junk food if you don’t see results in 30 days. But those 30 days may change you life forever. (And if you try it, read a book or two about it – as you need to also eat liver to get all the vitamins you need. If you don’t like the taste of liver, they sell dehydrated liver in capsule form so you don’t have to taste it.). 4.Take responsibility for your own health! Good luck and be well!
Joel

Re: Cured of AS after 20+ years!
JoelinWA #284891 09/17/21 11:02 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
So happy to hear that you found a way to beat AS. I believe diet is important for many of us. Some forms of spondyloarthritis is known to be of shorter duration. I'm thinking about Reactive Arthritis and that certainly has bacteria connection.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
JoelinWA #284892 09/18/21 03:26 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Congratulations & good job! I share the sentiment that diet seems to be surprisingly important for autoimmune disease. I changed my diet myself nearly three years ago from the Standard American Diet (SAD) to a plant-based diet. The results were steeply less inflammation, no anxiety, higher energy, and a better/happier mood. Actually it is baffling to think that the majority of the people are disease-free and happy because they happen to have the right bacteria living in their guts...

Anyway, I am not at the stage myself that I could let go of my medications (humira + psoriasis ointments) and/or my doctors. Even though I eliminated added sugar in my diet, I would have a hard time letting go of fruits. I love them, especially citrus fruits and berries. I can definitively subscribe to the idea of carbohydrates in general though. Every time I eat any modern grains, especially those containing gluten, my psoriasis flares off really badly. I have seen this enough times on my own arms to know there is not another factor involved. The diet connection to my spondylitis is not as clear, I assume the changes just take longer time to be noticed or I just don't have enough pain to make a big difference with diet.

Do you have any complex carbohydrates in your diet, like legumes/beams or roots?

Do you eat nuts like walnuts, almonds, cashews and seeds?

Also I assume alcohol is a no-go?

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Last edited by PsSpa_M_1989; 09/18/21 03:30 AM.

Background: 32 yr old male
Symptoms: Ps (scalp, elbows, knees) since 2000; PsSpa (neck, sacroiliac joint) since 2015
Dx: Osteoarthritis Aug, 2017; PsSpa Nov, 2018
Treatment: Meloxicam, Nov 2018-Jan 2019; Naproxen, Jan 2019-Jun 2019; Humira, Jun 2019-Present
JoelinWA #284893 09/18/21 04:01 AM
J
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Hi PsSpa_M,
Thanks for your post. I eat zero carbohydrates now -so no complex carbohydrates (no legumes/beans or roots no potatos). Seeds are often a cause of immunne reaction, and beans are seeds.
Yes, gluten is the worst, from what I've read and talked to people.

No, I don't drink alcohol (but I read that some can drink some wine w/o problem.) Beer is very high in carbs.
I don't drink any fruit juices (other than maybe a 1/4 measuring cup ammt every other day or so - too much sugar). I love fruit and sugar, and I slowly increased until it caused me to get sick again (with not that much) - so I learned not to do it again.

A person doesn't know how much their spondylitis is being cause by their diet until they cut out ALL plant food for 30 days for a 30 day trial of just eating meat only for 30 days. Becuase it is impossible to know WHICH foods are causing the problem. I even found that I am allergic to finned fish (i.e.:salmon). Safest to only eat beef or beef and poultry for 30 days - and if your Spondylitis reduces by 50% in that time, then you know you've been eating somthing that was causing it. Becuase in addition to gluten, it could be certain uncooked vegys or other carbohydrates that is causing the autoimmune trigger.

From what I've read, in the last 5 to 10 years, many people with autoimmunne diseases have found amazing releif this way.

But for some people, their symptoms are so mild, that it is easier to just keep taking the medications and keep living life wihout having to change their diet. If I was just mildly sick, and if it was managable with meds - I probably would not change my diet (because I really like my ice cream, candy, cereal). But, my brain was leaking and the brain surgens were telling me I was in a life threatening situation, and I was in incapacitating pain - so I had no alternative. I was willing to try anything, because I was at the end of rope. And it worked!

Good luck to you!

JoelinWA #284897 09/19/21 03:59 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hey, Joel:

Fantastic for You! I adopted this diet 22 years ago and ALL symptoms of active AS stopped almost immediately. Giraud Campbell published starting in 1967! Followed by Professor Alan Ebringer who employed diet as primary treatment at his Middlesex London AS Clinic in 1983, and Carol Sinclair wrote her book on IBS after that--ALL independent (there are at least 5 others including Seigngalet in France) ALL treating Marie Strumpell's later settled upon AS. The most effective treatment has been--tragically--rediscovered TOO MANY TIMES!

Thank You, for helping spread the word!

HEALTH,

John

Nota Bene: I am not a medical doctor, and my views do not represent the opinions of the SAA
AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

JoelinWA #284898 09/21/21 04:25 PM
J
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
John,
Thanks for your word of encouragement. Yes, - after I told my Rheumatologist what happened, she said, "oh, yes, this is the newest think in Rheumatology. In the last 5 years they are discovering a connection between diet and AS. I'll send you a link to a medical journal about this...." But over the last 5 years, she never mentioned ONE WORD to me about it! I had to figure this out on my own. If she new about at, why didn't she tell me? Crazy.

People have known about this for over 20 years, but many MD's have previously not taken it seriously. But now they are.

I also forgot to mention, my heart arrhythmia was also caused from the food triggered inflammation - and 2 months ago I was able to go complete off all my heart beta blocker medicine! (Previously, if I accidentally skipped 1 day, my heart with start going out of rythem).

For those just starting to explore this, I'm going to list the books I read:
1. "The Carnivor Diet of Dr. Jordan Peterson & Mikhaila Peterson - How Meat Healed Their Depression, Anxiety, & Disease" (Revised Transcripts & Blogposts)
2. "The Carnivor Code" by Paul Saladino MD (A MD who has been on this diet for 10 years and also got a degree in nutrition. Leading expert. Published 2020.
3. "Grain Brain" by David Perlmutter, MD. Board Certified neurologist and Fellow of the American College of Nutrition (updated edition 2018)
4. "Carnivore Cure" by Judy Cho, NPT (2020)
5. "Gut and Physiology Syndrome" by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD
6. "Heal Your Leaky Gut" by David Brownstein MD (2017)

It is also amazing to learn how so much of what I was taught for 40 years of my life about nutrition was wrong! For example, the old food pyramid with grains on the bottom - need lots of grains. That we need a well balanced diet of all the food groups. That meat is bad for you and causes heart disease. That eggs are bad for you can give you high cholesterol. That real butter is bad for you but margirine is good for you. Etc, etc. We have been given so much false and non-science based information.

Joel

1 member likes this: Tacitus
JoelinWA #284899 09/21/21 05:26 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Great additional resources, Joel THANK YOU!

Nota Bene: I am not a medical doctor, and my views do not represent the opinions of the SAA
AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard