Print Thread
New symptom...foot pain??? #35127 04/21/06 02:12 AM
M
momtotwoboys Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
M
I have never had foot pain before and for the past week when ever I walk, say more than 30 feet at once, my feet hurt badly. They hurt only in the center on the bottom and the left one hurts more than the right one. I used to be able to go on walks with the kids every evening, about a mile total. But now I can't make it down the drive way with out the pain. Is the common? Worth a trip to the rhuemy? Would there be anything they would even do for it?

Thanks,
Tracie

[img]http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?y=2005&m=11&img=30-061756L&t=jpg&rand=3920&srv=img2[/img]
Re: New symptom...foot pain??? #35128 04/21/06 04:51 AM
M
mariposa Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Sounds like Plantar Faciitis. I'm not sure there is much the rheumy can do for you.

A doc I ride the train with says you can wrap your foot with some of that stretchy stuff atheletes use for joint support and it helps with the pain.

I'm waiting for my FIL to get back from vacation so I can ask him about it. He's a retired Orthopaedic Surgeon. I'll let you know what he says.

Until then, really good shoes help a little.

Re: New symptom...foot pain??? #35129 04/21/06 05:00 AM
S
SarahC Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Go see a podiatrist. If it's plantar fasciitis, the pain is worse in the morning or anytime you're off your feet awhile.

In the meantime, stretch your foot as much as possible, get a big gel ice pack and ice your feet for 20 minutes at least 4 times a day.

A podiatrist will be of more help than your rheumy, who doesn't really seem to help you at all.

Sarah

Re: New symptom...foot pain??? #35130 04/21/06 05:06 AM
S
SarahC Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Oh, and try to stay off your feet as much as possible-I know with little ones it's impossible.

Plantar fasciitis is like a sprain. The tendons and ligaments that attach the heel and run up your foot are sprained, and don't get much chance to heal because you use your feet all the time. It would be like constantly moving a sprained wrist.

I had surgery for it in 2000. I still have problems with it, and use ice frequently. It'll hurt like hell at first, but ease yourself into it, the relief, while only temporary, is wonderful.

Always, and I mean always wear shoes. That's my bad, cuz I go around barefoot all the time. I have to wear shoes now cuz we got laminate flooring and tile. I curse my floors!! Get a good pair of cross trainers and keep them by your bed, even if you get up in the middle of the night, put them on.

A podiatrist can order you orthotics, give you steroid shots right into your feet, send you to physical therapy. Lots of options for treatment. I finally had to have them cut me. I was very heavy at the time and it just wasn't going away. I did get alot of relief from the orthotics and the steroid shots.

Take care,
Sarah

Re: New symptom...foot pain??? #35131 04/21/06 05:40 AM
L
Lemeow Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
My heels have been very painful lately. I also have my akeles tendons tripping out too. It is a symptom from the AS if I understand correctly. I bought new shoes today hopeing it might help.
Hugs
Leme

I am woman. I am invincible. I am tired.
Re: New symptom...foot pain??? #35132 04/21/06 01:23 PM
C
Charrlygrl1 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Tracie,

Is it the heels or the balls of the feet??

I have both, and it sucks. I lately have had relief from the heel pain by switching from the oral MTX to the injectable, but nothing has helped with the ball pain, nor my tendons which are hard as rocks.

On the web there are stretches you can do for the PF. In my opinion, they work for all of about two seconds. I've read in arthritis mags to 'walk it off'. Obviously whoever says that has never actually had it, because walking, for me, makes it worse.

I have found that a good, cushiony sneaker does help and arch supports do too, but only a little.
My rheumy refuses to give shots in the feet due to the risk of injuring the tendon.

Sarah, did the surgery help? I've considered my own surgery, just cutting my darn feet off.

Char

Re: New symptom...foot pain??? #35133 04/21/06 07:37 PM
R
Ryan's mom Offline
R
This was a real problem for me a year ago at this time. I saw my rheumy who sent me to my podiatrist. It was plantar fascitis (sp?) ... he did a series of two injections in my heel and put me in a walking boot for six weeks. It did help, but was very slow in improving. It started in March and probably didn't go away until late June ... one thing the podiatrist suggested was freezing a bottle of water then sitting down two or three times each day and rolling the bottle under my foot ... icing it the best way possible.

Best of luck ... it's no fun!

Re: New symptom...foot pain??? #35134 04/24/06 04:38 AM
S
SarahC Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Char,
The surgery has helped about 90%. Since I really hate shoes and go barefoot anywhere I can, I still get pain, but now it's different, it's just a soreness in the arch of my foot. I have no problems in the winter when I wear shoes. I don't even use my orthotics anymore.

Walking it off??? My doctor said it would eventually heal if I wanted to sit in a wheelchair for about 6-8 weeks. Wasn't an option for me. You are supposed to stay off your feet as much as possible, do the stretching and ice ice ice. I used the big gel ice pack to wrap around my whole foot and after surgery used a can of vegetables to roll under foot. That helps too. Frozen water bottle sounds like a good idea, but I think you would get better relief with the gel pack.

Also, if you can't get custom orthotics, my doc said you could go to shoe stores like foot locker and they sell generic ones. Before my orthotics arrived he told me to be the heel cups or heel gel pads-dr scholl's. My orthotics don't have an arch support at all. So I don't know about that.

Sarah

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto