Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Children and AS #47243 08/29/06 02:44 AM
M
msmousie10 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My daughter, Jessica, is 14 yrs old. Her only major ailments are exercised induced asthma and allergies. She has been playing sports for 4 years. Last week she started with pain in her SI joint area. She knows she fell on her hip during volleyball practice. She did not fall on her bottom. She is concerned (well, so am I), that maybe the pain is the start of something more. Or maybe it is referred pain. What age did your kids start?

Sally

Re: Children and AS #47244 08/29/06 03:32 AM
I
IrishElf Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
I'm not a kid, but my symptoms started about age 7. I had the typical heel/ankle pain. It pregressed to stomach and low back in my pre-teens and early teens.
I too was very active in gymnastics. I played volleyball, softball, basketball (pretty good for someone who's 5'3" but that was in Junior High when everyone was that height. LOL)

Have you asked her doc about it? Or mentioned it?
She also may have bruised a bone, which BTW hurts like crazy and takes a long time to heal.
She also could have irritated her sciatic nerve or nerve root ( it comes out of the spine in the area of L5-S1, goes out across each buttocks, then travels down the back of the leg and into the foot.)

If the pain continues she really should be evaluated. It might be nothing, but then again, might be something worth seeing the doc for.

As you slide down the bannister of life...May the splinters never point the wrong way.
Re: Children and AS #47245 08/29/06 09:16 AM
R
rabbjbmom Offline
R
My son, now 18 years old, was diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy at 12 years old and my daughter, who 20, was diagnosed with the same thing when she was 16. If you decide to have her evaluated, please make certain it is a Board Certified Pediatric Rheumatologist. Board Certified is important because it means the physician has passed an exam in the area of specialty and takes continuing education in the specialty. Pediatric Rheumatologist is important because children can present differently than adults, get some types of arthritis that adults do not get, and handle medications differently than adults. If you have any questions about her condition, I would seek out an appointment with one of these physicians.

Re: Children and AS #47246 08/29/06 11:04 AM
C
chattermouth73 Offline
C
My son was diagnosed at age 12 but began symptoms about age 6 or 7. He began with ankle pain and it seems to grow up his body to all different joints, He also was a very active boy, lots of sports. Hes 13 now. I Hope it is just an injury. If your concerned than have the doc do some blood work. if things dont get better soon than I would ask to see a Rhumy. best of luck and let us know how she is doing.

Me and my kids, Anthony is 14 diagnosed with AS but now docs are undecided as to what he has!
Re: Children and AS #47247 08/29/06 11:12 PM
N
north Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
Sounds like a great need for constant anti-inflammatories and antihistamine. Do I dare mention the starchfree diet? - That is the basis of my treatment essential for me.
I have noticed [been reminded] of the need for an antihistamine the minute that an allergy is apparent otherwise it makes AS worse. The irritation of it also pushes the appetite up [so do not be near the fridge wink ] It will happen before I even notice a sneeze or blocked ears/sinus, so one has to be quite alert [or on continuous therapy for allergy]
Sorry to hear this might be happening to her - I hope you are able to get to the bottom of it quickly before any damage is done.

North
PreAS = STARCHfree, yoghurt, ,, meat , vitE, niacinamide,B complex
CARNITINE, B6
Fibro = antiviral, MAGNESIUM /B6
Arthritis in fingers = no potato fam. plants
Candour & laws differ from place to place
Re: Children and AS #47248 08/29/06 11:52 PM
T
TennisAce Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
My daughter started symptoms at the age of 10 with her Achilles and knees. It did not progress to her lower back until 13.

My son started very mild symptoms at the age of 12 with toes and back.

Daughter diagnosed 2004; son diagnosed 2006. Both are currently without spondy meds and currently in a medicine induced remissions. One has been pharma free for 3 years; the other one for 2 years.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto