Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enbrel and dental antibiotics #53931 11/30/06 08:29 AM
M
Mom Advocate Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Question for all you longtimers and experts - My 19 yr old has AS and just started on Enbrel which has been a miracle for him. Should he stop enbrel and take an antibiotic when he has his teeth cleaned? I called the dentist and they said to call his doctor. I called the doctor and they said to call the dentist. Hello? Don't the docs know? Second question, while on enbrel, is it ok to get a flu shot? I forgot to ask the doctor today. I'd sure appreciate any info anyone can give me.

Re: enbrel and dental antibiotics #53932 11/30/06 08:45 AM
J
Jimmyhonda Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
i was about to ask this question too. i'm thinking of seeing a dentist too - hoping someone here would know the answer.

my sister is special, and had a heart operation when she was young. when ever she sees the dentist, she has to take antibotics before treatment.

Re: enbrel and dental antibiotics #53933 11/30/06 01:47 PM
S
Storm Offline
S
Hello.

For your first question. I take Amoxicillin (generic for Amoxil) , 4 @500mg each 1 hour before any dental work. Your dentist can call that in for you.

And as for a flu shot. I just got mine yesterday. And am up to date for my pneumonia shots as well.

I've been on Enbrel for six years now and have had no problems with dental work or flu shots.

-Storm

Re: enbrel and dental antibiotics #53934 11/30/06 02:18 PM
P
PsAsci4ever Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
I don't know anything about the dental work. I've never really had a problem. Didn't know I should be concerned.

As for the flu shot it is good idea to get one. The flu shot is safe (and recomended for people who are immunosuppressed) but the nasal vaccine is not! I always get a flu shot and I have never had any problems. I had been on Enbrel and am now on Humira.

Rachel

Re: enbrel and dental antibiotics #53935 11/30/06 05:10 PM
A
Andie Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
Minor dental work such as regular cleaning or filling cavities does not require stopping biologics or takig antibiotics. However anything more inevasive(root canal, implants, extractions...) should be discussed with your doctor.

It is perfectly safe to get the flu shot while taking a biologic in fact most docs insist on it, just make sure it is a dead virus.

Re: enbrel and dental antibiotics #53936 11/30/06 05:35 PM
M
Mary Beth Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Teeth cleanings should be fine; normally only people with that heart valve problem (can't think of the name of it now) get antibiotics, and that's so bacteria doesn't back into their heart.

You should probably get both a flu shot (yearly) and pneumonia shot (every 5 years, I think) if you are on a biologic.

46, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi
Re: enbrel and dental antibiotics #53937 12/01/06 03:36 AM
P
Pamela, RDH Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
I am a dental hygienist and you do not need an antibiotic unless you have any of the following conditions; heart murmur, mitral valve prolapse, had rheumatic fever or have any kind of artificial valve or joint (like knee, hip, or shoulder).

Pam

Re: enbrel and dental antibiotics #53938 12/01/06 05:27 AM
M
MIKWONDO Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I have had Rheumatic Fever, heart murmurs, and mitral valve prolaspe, I have orders to take at least 1000 to 2000mg. of pennicillin or amoxil before any dental treatment or surgery.
Also I am prone to long flares of joint pain after dental surgery or an infection of the gums or sinus cavity.
Mike

MCM
Re: enbrel and dental antibiotics #53939 12/01/06 10:19 AM
M
Mom Advocate Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you all for your responses and input. It has helped me with the decision. We're going to pass on the antibiotics. We also called Caremark where we get the Enbrel and they have a hotline to a pharmacist on staff or on call. He confirmed also that my son probably does not need antibiotics. I'm relieved since my son sometimes has reactions to antibiotics. Now another question, does anyone know a good rheumatologist in Medford, Oregon. My son is leaving the nest and moving out of state. He is immature and won't read anything about his disease amd does not take care of himself. He's had AS since he was 15 and has experienced a lot of pain, until Enbrel. Now he won't even have medical insurance and, of course, mother knows nothing. He also won't self inject so I don't know who he thinks is going to nursemaid him. Can you tell I'm worried sick?

Re: enbrel and dental antibiotics #53940 12/01/06 11:38 AM
T
tiabird Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hi...This is a tough time. My son is twenty and even though he had never had to manage doctors and bills, he did pretty good. Just stay close,WAIT for him to ask for your help and give him support. He's not leaving until after the holidays I hope.

Tia

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto