Girlfriends!
#90645 11/08/07 09:29 PM
J
jackieb Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Yesterday was the best. My girlfriend from seventh grade on through today asked me to come over. She lives in another towns about 20 miles away. She and I went out to dinner, did a little shopping and then rented "The Wedding Date" and "The Holiday". I had seen the wedding date before but not the holiday. I do not know when I felt so relaxed and self indulged in a long while. Ladies I think this is what we need. Take care of ourselves. Look up some good friends and spend some quality time with them. It was so nice to talk to someone that "Listens" and gives me advice truthfully, not what I want to hear but sound advice. So ladies care to share your best friend experience.

Jackie
Re: Girlfriends!
#90646 11/08/07 10:36 PM
H
H
Aw, that's a great idea. My best friend has been going through some rough times lately, so it would be good for both of us, I would think.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time yesterday. A friend since the 7th grade? That's really cool!

~ Holly
#90647 11/09/07 02:29 PM
K
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
K
Nothin' quite like girlfriend therapy! So glad you had that wonderful day with your friend. I have a friend who lives in S. Ca very near the beach and she has the best porch ever. Three of us girlfriends that go way back to grade school (we are 50 now!) get together a couple of times a year and have "porch therapy". We drink wine and blab way into the wee hours of the morning. It is a must for us! We go to the beach one day and shopping another. I look forward to it sooooo much! Wouldn't miss it for anything. I highly recommend it also!
Karen

Live Life Man, Live Life
#90648 11/09/07 03:42 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
I have a friend since the 7th grade also, he is a guy though. We have been through thick and thin with each other, while never dating, kissing, or doing anymore than hugging and holding hands. He lives in Oregon now, so we really would have to work hard to be farther apart. We e-mail each other and talk on the phone occasionally, he always makes me feel better. It is nice to have someone who knows who you are, where you came from, what you have gone through, and still likes you just the same if not more. We are both married with kids now, and the part I now appreciate most is that our spouses are not jealous of the friendship and have let us continue to be close. When I think about the friends that I have...that is when I realize that I am truly BLESSED and have everything I need to be happy in this life.
Tess

Some of the best things come from Author Unknown.

When the world says, "Give up," hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

Though you can't go back and start again, you can start from now and have a brand new end.
#90649 11/09/07 07:11 PM
P
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
P
That is so cool! I have three friends from 7th grade and we all still keep in touch! They are now in SO. Calif. and Nevada, but we are still very close. It is so nice to have friends that go way back. Like Tess said, they know who you are, all about you, and still love you just the same. One of them comes up every year here, and this summer I had two of them come to visit, it was wonderful!
Gail

Somedays, it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the leather straps
#90650 11/12/07 01:06 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I haven't posted in a long time, (I tend to lurk :rolleyes: ) but I think that one of the best pieces of advice I ever got came from my Grandmother who said "Husbands are one thing; but girlfriends are another. Always make sure you have them." I have a great hubby, but there are times when it my girlfriends who keep me going! And the older I get (I'm now 50), the more I find how important my friends are to me. For those of you with younger kids, my girlfriends got me through some of my toughest times by taking my son places with them and their kids when I couldn't, coming over with "potluck" for dinner when I couldn't, being accepting of the limitations of my illness, being non-judgmental and supportive - in short, being there for me always. And I am there for them also, although it is in other ways, and they recognize that we each have different gifts to share with each other. And no one is keeping score (who did what for whom, and when, you know the drill). So, hooray for girlfriends!
Sara S-C

#90651 11/13/07 09:40 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
hey! I have a couple of those lifelong friends also. I'm in STL, Mo and my best friend just moved to Houston. I'm so bummed. She was the one I had porch time with. A few of these friends I only see a few times a year. They've known me so long and seen me gone through this disease and all the things that it has cost me. Sometimes the look on their face when they see me after a long time is just so priceless. Still as much love as always. Thanks for starting this string

Sebeth
---------------
AS onset at age 13, finally diagnosed in 1989, age 22!
Currently awaiting Cosentyx.
IBS, Polycythemia Vera, Anticardiolipid Syndrome,
Myositis, Adrenal Insuffiency, Asthma, etc...
#90652 12/12/07 03:49 AM
J
jackieb Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Today I spent the day with 2 of my friends from high school and college. We had a wonderful time catching up and telling new and old stories. We exchanged gifts, had lunch and shopped. What could get any better than this!

Jackie
#90653 12/12/07 01:42 PM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Jackie it does sound wonderful. I had a weekend like that, this past weekend with my husband eek It was awesome laugh

Tia
#90654 12/13/07 06:05 AM
L
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
Last week I took the train to NYC to meet a good friend for diner and to see Rockefeller Center and decorations. Our kids grew up together, then she moved to the Jersey shore which is about 2 hrs. from here. My husband was all worried,"What if your back hurts, you can't walk, etc.. For me though, any pain was worth having those few hours to laugh with my friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard