Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
night chills/sweats #10869 05/25/05 12:07 AM
F
farmgirl Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
F
does anyone else out there have night chills / sweats? i started having them back in my twenties (probably about the same time as my si joint pain started) my dad who i believe has undiagnosed AS (he has had every symptom) also has these. it is like the coldest cold you can imagine and your bones hurt like crazy. i curl up in a fetal position under extra blankets. my husband has to get the blankets because i can't move - my teeth chatter and i shake all over. after what seems like forever (but is probably only about half an hour) i break out in a drenching sweat. sometimes i can tell if it is going to happen before i go to bed, kinda like my joints feel anxious or something. i've had all my thyroid levels checked and they are normal. these are random. could have a couple in one week then none for a month. the nass site lists this as a symptom but can't find any info on it. my doc says night sweats are not a symptom. any thoughts?

pam

Re: night chills/sweats #10870 05/25/05 12:49 AM
C
Captain_Who Offline
C
Hi, Pam.

In my early 30s, (20 years ago), I experienced a series of very high fevers (103+ degrees) with no apparent cause. My doctor was baffled at the time, but in retrospect I now realize that it was AS related. Next time you find yourself awakened with severe chills, sweats, etc, get up and take your temperature. I'm betting you'll find that you have a short-duration high fever just as I did, and I believe such fevers can be associated with the inflammation of AS.

Be well,
Todd

Re: night chills/sweats #10871 05/25/05 01:49 AM
L
LuvinGod3fold Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
farmgirl I agree with Todd.

I went through the chill/night sweat thing about a month ago. I know it was AS related because I live in Tucson Arizona and it is not cold here. Granted, it gets hot...but this was during our "nice tropical climate season". At any rate, had an appointment for pap smear and discussed with Gyn. Took hormone tests and some other test, anyway...all is well. Questioned AS related and was told more than likely combo between AS and myofascial and or (fibromyalgia).

Go to www.emedicinenet.com and search for myofascial pain or fibromyalgia; fevers seem to be associated.

In His grace
Cynthia

Re: night chills/sweats #10872 05/25/05 03:48 AM
P
PabloDiablo Offline
P
I have had fevers and night sweats that would last for only a few days at a time and would unpredictably return a month later or so, but never to the "degree" you have them. I thought it was due to new meds or coming off of them until I found a book called "living well with autoimmune disease, what your doctor doesn't tell you... that you need to know" by Mary J. Shomon. Of course I take every thing I read with a grain of salt until different resources converge with similar conclusions. Basically it seems almost all autoimmune diseases can cause fever/ night sweats/temperature changes.

Re: night chills/sweats #10873 05/25/05 02:51 PM
R
Ryan's mom Offline
R
I have to add that I have the same situation. My ob/gyn did a test recently to see if I'm starting to go through the "change", but he agreed that most likely it's the AS ... the test came back that I'm not premenopausal, so I feel that it is for sure the AS. I get so cold that me teeth chatter as well ... then I'm hot as I can be and throw off all of the covers. I have a severe intolerance for cold, but my thyroid is fine! Ryan is just like me ... he cannot stand being cold ... Best of luck to you!

Nancy (Ryan's mom)

Re: night chills/sweats #10874 05/26/05 05:54 AM
C
Cookie Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
It's a flare.

When my spondy was uncontrolled I would have horrible hot flashes. Since I'm 'of a certain age' my OB/GYN kept upping my dose of estrogen (for perimenopause) to try to get them under control. Turns out I was mostly having a chronic low-grade fever - literally - due to the persistent inflammation in my body.

As it turns out, my body couldn't maintain the fever all the time so I'd get episode of severe chills. However, my flares were the same kind of shaking except I didn't feel that cold. I would shake as though I was extremely cold but that wasn't really the problem. The real problem was I was having uncontrolled muscle spasms all over my body. If I took 400 to 600 mg of ibuprofen just as they were starting they would end in 20 minutes - about the time that the ibuprofen is absorbed into my system.

Diagnosed May, 2004 with undifferentiate spondy. Now have AS diagnosis. HLA-B27 negative female with no family history of spondy. Taking Mobic and Cymbalta. Discontinued Enbrel, Oct 2005.
Re: night chills/sweats #10875 05/26/05 10:28 PM
M
mont974x4 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I figured it was "sympathy hot flashes" for the women in my life laugh

j/k

night sweats used to be horrible and I am almost always warm. It drives my wife nuts when we fight over the thermostat

Jay

NOTE: If you aint here to help row the boat then you are welcome to walk the plank.
Re: night chills/sweats #10876 05/27/05 12:55 AM
M
mms Offline
M
I discussed this issue with one of my daughter's doctors today. He believes it may be due to Remicade and Arava since she had recently started both drugs and is having such a horrible time. He says there are other drugs that helps with this side effect. She seems him tomorrow and I'll report in.
Take care.
mms

Re: night chills/sweats #10877 05/27/05 01:00 AM
M
mont974x4 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I hate to say, but I don't think its the meds. I have had the night sweats/chills crud for as long as I can remember. They were worse before my dx and the meds.

Jay

NOTE: If you aint here to help row the boat then you are welcome to walk the plank.
Re: night chills/sweats #10878 05/27/05 01:10 AM
F
farmgirl Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
F
not the meds for me either,

only taking ibuprofen right now, thinking about enbrel. azulfidine made me sick and tired. have been having them since my mid twenties. about the same time i started having si joint pain at night i think. it could be some other weird thing. not thyroid, not hormones (at least not the girly kind) sinces my father has had them for years too.

who knows?

pam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto