Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Newly diagnosed with AS
#101601 12/14/05 11:46 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks mmparker. I appreciate the advise. How long does the MEB normally take. I was supposed to have this MEB back in May, but its been stalled for stupid reasons. Of course, now I have the AS involved, where before I just had bilateral severe flat foot, with no help wearing the orthotics, and the Snapping Scapula Syndrome. I am really unaware of the MEB process. They are doing an informal MEB. They have been going off of the records, and I have not had a physical done. Nor have I been told when I would be doing a PEB. Any kind of timeline. I know it varies from person to person. But I want out of the AF, cause I'm tired of being screwed over since I can't do my job half the time.

SAS
#101602 12/14/05 04:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by mmparker:
Chris, Can you copy this tread over to the Mil/Vets page.
Here is is smile

#101603 12/14/05 05:03 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I believe all MEBs are informal meaning they have a handful of members making determinations without the servicemember being present. Key documents are the Narrative Summary (NATSUM) done by the referring physicain and the MEB physical. This is primarily what they will base their decisions on. DoDI 1332.38 speaks of timelines for MEB/PEB processing but probably not well adhered to.

#101604 12/14/05 06:21 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Cool. I read the briefing paper I got again, and I was mistaken. I thought all the diagnosis stuff HAD to be in the MEB, but I found out it has to be documented in the response to the MEB, prior to the IPEB.

SAS
#101605 12/15/05 10:45 AM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
My MEB NATSUM listed all my issues of concern. I would not wait until the MEB response to get them in. When you take a MEB physical, like all physical, there is a form you fill out that asks "do you now or have you ever had any of the following". It then goes on to list a bazillion or so issues. Now is the time to get smart on this form. The worst mistake you could make is wait to the day of the physical and try to fill it out in the waiting room. I will find the form number and post it on the board.

Be sure to list every issue that began or that has gotten worse since your entry into the service. If you have and issue, describe it in the criteria language of the VASRD as applicable. This will benefit you greatly during the MEB/PEB as well as with VA disability process.

#101606 12/15/05 01:12 PM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2807-1.pdf

This link will take you to Report of Medical History From (DoD 2807-1) I spoke of in the above post.

Put down everthing and make sure the examing physician addreeses all issues in his comments.

#101607 12/16/05 05:37 AM
N
OP Offline
N
LTC Parker,

Thanks for the info. I got your e-mail as well. I got another question. When I do get discharged, What is better to do, keep the AF retirement/disability, or trade it in for the VA benefits?
Like I mentioned before, they aren't going to do a physical for the MEB, nor have they told me it was necessary. They told me that they just go off the records for the MEB itself, and then a physical during the PEB. I'll definatly fill out the form annotating everything wrong with me, but I don't know if our crappy clinc uses it or not. Our healthcare at Dover sucks as$. I could have probably diagnosed a year ago if it wasn't because of the slow processes and crap that I've had to go through already here. I'm tired of doctors as it is, I hate going to them. I waste so much time doing it, and I don't get comp time most of the time being on grave shift. I don't want to switch shifts either. Day shift here sucks!

My symptoms have worsend this week, mainly with back pain and wrist pain. My snapping scapula syndrome has been the same for a good year now. I have good days and bad days(for the right scapula). My left one gets stiff, and feels like it wants to pop, but it won't. My feet haven't improved at all. I got orthodics back in August, and its mid Dec now, with no improvement. I know that with this alone I should be able to get 50% disability with the bilateral flat feet.
Also I noticed that my jaw has popped a few times, which it has never done before. Is that a symptom of AS? What about chest pains, between the breasts. I had them for about two hours yesterday morning before I left for work. I don't have any heart or lung issues and my blood pressure and cholesterol are normal. Any ideas what could be causing that? I kept burping half the time I had these pains as well. Last time I had them, it felt like I had an air bubble sitting in there, and it wouldn't come up.
Again, here is the listing of what issues I have.
AS
SSS(snapping scapula syndrome, unilateral(right))
bitlateral wrist tendonitis
bilateral flat feet
Extreme foot pain, ankle pain, lower back pain
Mild joint pain in elbows shoulders, neck, upper back, fingers(especially if I don't crack them).
Stiffness everywhere.

SAS
#101608 12/16/05 10:44 AM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
http://bbs.spondylitis.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=000032

This is a link to a previous thread on this page. It has a lot of good info to answer your questions.

Bottomline:

1. You do not trade AF disability for VA disability. If you get a disability retirement and VA gives you disability, the VA disability will off-set, dollar-for-dollar, your military retirement. That is not a bad thing as VA dolars are not taxed but your military disability retirement, will not be. Odds are your military disability will be much higher than what the VA will pay you. You need to work towards a case for AF medical retirement. Congress has already eliminated the VA off-set for many military retirees to include some disability retirees. Some day in the near future, it may apply to cases like yours as well. Work is being done to that end.

2. Use the form and make them use the form. If conditions are not documented and addressed on this form and during the physical, you will severely damage your chances of receiving disability payments from the military and the VA, especially for conditions that the PEB does not find unfitting.

#101609 12/23/05 06:20 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Well, my appointment on the 21st has clairfied a few things. First off, My Rheumy can't fully diagnose me with AS. He states I am probable to have AS, but since it is hard to prove, its hard to diagnose. He told me that it is very hard to prove to the base doctors that I have AS. Since it can take up to 10 years for any X-ray changes, the base doctors are skeptical on any diagnosis like AS. Its funny though, if I had RA, it'd be a different story. RA and Chrons runs in my moms side of the family. I have my appointment with my PCM on the 27th, hopefully to get a new profile, and whatnot. I keep getting hounded on doing the erogometry test, which I can do, but I keep failing because I can't bike ride more than 15 min without my back pain getting unbearable and my feet cramps. I've been fighting to get PT testing exempt for over a year. They have had no running, situps or pushups, but that doesn't exclude me from the bike test. In addition, because of my inability to do prolonged excercise, I have gained 80 lbs since 2002. So my 37 inch waist now reads 45 inches. I'm lucky I don't look fat overall, just I got the gut going on. I wish I could get rid of it, but any diet doesn't work without excercise. I know once I can get some meds that take the pain away, I'll be better off. Today, I am starting Sulfasalazine. The doctor stated that I gotta go up the chain on meds to prove to Tricare that Embrel is what I need. It apparently is hard to get the insurance company to pay for it, so we gotta go through the chain of meds and show that we've tried different things before getting to the big dogs. I think the next step is Embrel, but its gonna be another month before we get to that. A week before my appointment, I gotta get my blood checked again for signs of inflammation. I'll post what the base doctor has to say after I go there next Tuesday. I wanted to post my latest Rheumy appointment and get feedback on it first, hoping to get some more ammo for my PCM.

Thanks for all of your support, and Happy Holidays from me;
Silas

SAS
#101610 01/04/06 03:04 PM
N
OP Offline
N
LTC Parker,
Any feedback on my last post?
Thanks, Silas

SAS