Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Finally diagnosed #101677 01/06/06 11:11 AM
M
MarkMcDaniel Offline OP
OP Offline
M
New to this list. Found it after a new doctor diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia and SA just the other day.

I've been dealing with the pain for about 28 years (16 of those in the Air Force)with no explanation from Doctors other than "I don't know why your back hurts, here just take these." as they wrote out yet another useless prescription. Tried physical therapy many times, only aggrivates the condition.

I've been awarded a VA disability rating of 40%. 10 of that for gall bladder removal and 30% for my back problems. Traumatic arthritis they finally called it. Took a fall while on duty during my 4th year in the AF. Hospitalized upon taking the fall and about a half dozen times since then for back pain.

The pain, constant aching and spasms have gotten worse, now have spread into my shoulders, neck, down my right buttock/calf, and into both arms.

The condition forced me to give up my automotive mechanic career that I trained for in the Air Force. I went into photojournalism and now it's forced me to give up a promising career as a news reporter. Now it's threatening my new job as a 911 Dispatcher. My body couldn't take the driving, climbing and other things required to be a mechanic or reporter any longer, and sitting for 8 hours straight as a dispatcher is killing my back. I've been doing this for three months and the pain and spasms are getting worse and worse. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to continue working.

The VA doctors tell me there's nothing more they can do for me. Now I'm seeing civilian doctors and now three have said that I have Fibro. The last one, a Rheumy, diagnosed me with Fibro and SA. Says there's not much that can be done other than pain management, exercise and diet w/suppliments. They may or may not help.

I retired in 98. The VA finally gave me a disability rating in 00. It's taken until 06 to finally get a name put on what I have. I've been to doctors, both VA and civilian regularly since retirement for the problems.

How do I go about getting these two new diagnosis added to my rating and get an increase in the percentage? I've requested an evaluation already, but dealing with Ft. Harrison is a nightmare. Our local VA Rep. in Missoula says they are one of the slowest and hardest to deal with in the nation.

Doctors and all the research I've read say that Fibro is most often brought on by trauma. Only been through one real traumatic experience in my life, that's when I took a fall while on a Security Police exercise during my early years in the AF. I need help, if I'm forced to quite working, my retirement is not enough to live on.

Re: Finally diagnosed #101678 01/06/06 02:34 PM
M
mont974x4 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Welcome to the board. I have fibro and AS too. I'm still fighting for my rating. Which doctor do you see? I have a great Rheumy in Great Falls at the clinic but he's pretty busy. I have heard good things about the new one tho.

BTW, I'm the Montana Support Group Coordinator. So if you'd like to get together let me know. You can e-mail me or hit me up in the Montana Forum on this site.

Jay

NOTE: If you aint here to help row the boat then you are welcome to walk the plank.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan