Next Thread
Print Thread
MEB status... #101699 01/13/06 05:45 AM
N
Navistar0454 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
LTC Parker,

Just wanted to let you know that I am still awaiting my MEB from Lackland. I am being told it is an informal board, and they are doing an informal PEB based on records along with the MEB. My issue with the informal PEB, is that the flat foot issue has not been addressed(ie, the fact that the orthotics aren't doing anything). The AS has been added to the records, but only the diagnoisis, and not any of the actions I have gone through yet for it. I am trying to get a referral to see a podiatrist and get the flat foot thing looked at again that way when I appeal, which looks like I'm gonna have to do so, I'll have some more fire power to do so. I go in for a follow up on the 27th for my Rheumy, and more than likely I'll be able to get on Enbrel. I'm fearing that I'm gonna get the boot before they put me on Enbrel and I won't be able to get on it. The sulfasalazine isn't helping by itself. I seem to have gotten a worse rash between my legs around my genital area. It just itches, and I know its not from my girlfriend(she got checked just in case). Trying to figure out what I can do when I get out is hard as it is, and I really don't want to leave the military unless they give me 50 % or more. I am waiting for my copy of my medical records as well, that way I know what I have to fight with from the begining before trying to get other stuff on top of it. I'm sorta scared now, cause I have read all the people here that have been screwed over by medical boards from the military. I just don't want to get screwed over. Its bad enough I can't do what I love doing even after I get out of the military from this.

Oh well, I guess its sit around and wait for my MEB. Should I call the VA now, or should I wait until after I get the MEB back? Also, if I get 30 %, will the VA offset the rating they give me, and give me disability pay? I'm still confused on that whole subject. The AF does things a little different from the Army, so I dunno exactly what the deal is.

Thanks

SAS
Re: MEB status... #101700 01/13/06 07:22 AM
M
mmparker Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
The PEB should be based on a MEB narrative summary (NATSUM) derived from a MEB physical. DiD you have such a physical?

You should have been given the NATSUM by your PEBLO an offered an opportunity to rebut it in writing. The NATSUM should list all of your medical issues.

What diagnosis is the Informal PEB looking at?

Study AFI 36-3212. It runs through the procedures.

LTC P.

Re: MEB status... #101701 01/13/06 10:36 AM
N
Navistar0454 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I haven't gotten the results yet. The MEB was for right Snapping scapula syndrome, bilateral wrist flexor tedonitis, bilateral flat feet, and Ankylosing Spondylitis. I never got a physical done outside of my normal PHA, which was last done last April. They told me that they would go off of my records and make a narrative summary for the IMEB. I was told that when the MEB is done, I would get a report, and I would have 3 days to submit my rebuttal. My first sergeant said that if I choose to rebutt it and appeal, I'll have to go to Lackland for a formal MEB.

I'll check out the AFI as well.

SAS
Re: MEB status... #101702 01/13/06 01:27 PM
M
MIgrunt Offline
M
Navistar0454,
I understand your problems. I've worked with AF personnel before and been to AF doctors (they did a great job). What ever you do, don't give up the fight. Go to that formal MEB. It's your right. Get with VA. They can help you write a detailed rebutal in the proper language. Make sure you have all your records and if you can, get your Xrays, MRIs, etc. If it worked like me, I got seperation pay for 10% disability and 50% from VA. I have to pay the Army back the amount minus taxes. VA holds back a certain percentage of their pay until the Army is paid back. I think the AF might be the same way but not sure. What do you do in the AF? I'm sure the VA could help you find something if you do get out. Again, don't give up the fight!

Re: MEB status... #101703 01/14/06 09:43 AM
N
Navistar0454 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I am a aircraft hydraulic systems mechanic on the C-5A/B Galaxy. I love my job, I just don't care for how things are ran here. But I can't do my job when I am in constant pain all the time. My question is, if I get 30%, and retain retirement benefits, do I gotta trade all of it for the VA benefits, or do I keep both(ie, 30% from the military, and say the VA rates me at 70%, would the VA pay the whole 70%, and I'd have to pay back the 30%, or would I just get 30% from the AF, and 40% from the VA?

Thanks for the support.

SAS
Re: MEB status... #101704 01/14/06 10:15 AM
M
MIgrunt Offline
M
Having one of my "can't sleep nights". This is how it's working for my husband. He's retired with 22 years and currently 20% from VA. VA presently gives him the 20% pay but 20% is deducted from his retirement pay. However, it's gradually working that in a few years, he will be able to get both. The higher the rating the shorter amount of time before you can receive both. He's better at explaining this since he worked with the VA for a while before he got tired of "flying a desk". He still keeps contact with the VA office here in Savannah, Georgia and I plan on giving them a visit here soon myself.

Re: MEB status... #101705 01/14/06 10:44 AM
M
MIgrunt Offline
M
One thing to note, I suffer from short-term memory loss, guess why I forgot the info from your previous posts. For that rash, have the docs looked at Psoriatic arthritis as a problem? PA,AS, Reiter and inflammatory bowel disease (enteropathic arthritis) all fall under the catagory of spondyloarthropathy (http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw87580.asp)If you haven't already, make at least one copy of all your medical records just in case yours gets misplaced through military channels. Your hospital should be able to make a copy, though they usually look terrible. I really want to emphasize with working with the VA. A majority of companies are more than eager to snap up former military, especially with specialed skills. You could even work with the VA! Also get with your local Disabled American Veterans association.

Re: MEB status... #101706 01/14/06 01:07 PM
M
mmparker Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
If you get a military disability rating of 30% or greater, you will receive disability retirement pay. For every dollar of VA disability pay you receive, you will lose a military disability retirement dollar. VA are preferred as they are non taxable. Military disability dollars are taxable unless your disability was caused by combat or an instrument of war. (Or unless yu were obligated to join the military on or before September 1975 butI am guessing you weren't even born at that time. laugh )

In FY 2004, Congress passed the concurrent receipt law. This law states that you should get both your retirement pay and your VA disability pay without any off-set. The rationale is that retiremnt is for years of service and VA disability is for wear and tear incurred in service. However, to be eligible as the law is currently written, you must:

Be a non-disability retiree and have a total VA disability rating of 50% or more.

Be medically retired for disability and have at least 20 years of service and have a total VA disability rating of 50% or more.

Various Veteran Service Organizations are working to modify this law so that it:

a. Applies to disability retirees even if they have less than 20 years of service.

b. Applies to all retirees who receive VA disability pay even if it is only at the 10% level.

These changes will probably happen some years in the future but it will take time and effort.

The current law is being phased in over a ten year window. In 2014 the offset will be totally eliminate for non diability retirees with a 50% or more rating from the VA. However, the phasing schedule is front loaded. By 2010, 95% of the off-set will be eliminated.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan