Any dancers here?
#139301 04/06/09 06:16 PM
D
First time visitor
OP Offline
First time visitor
D
Hello,

I am new to the community and just wanted to introduce myself. I currently compete in dancesport in amateur division. Have been diagnosed with AS 2 years ago and worked thorough a lot of issues discussed in this forum. I have been very inspired by reading about other athletes with AS who managed to be successful in their chosen sports and that prompted me to keep going. I have also found for myself that moderate and regular excersize helps me manage my condition and continuously improve.

Are there any other dancers here?

Best,

D

Re: Any dancers here?
DanceAthlete #148375 07/10/09 10:18 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
used to dance, LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! since all my AS issues (starting around age 15) haven't been able to dance since around age 23...

We don't know who we are until we see what we can do. --Martha Grimes

AS fighter w/ chronic iritis, Metabolic Syndrome (Diabetes, HBP, High Cholest), PCOS
auntiecole #148956 07/14/09 03:09 AM
N
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
N
Hmmmmm. well depends on WHAT kinda dancing. great slow dancer...... the shuffle...... yoga helps a wee bit to keep stiffness from overtaking. Cant do it all for sure but streaching dillengently helps alot to keep being active in even the little things. Camping, walking, gardening, fishing....

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.
- Socrates
NWbrooktrout #149061 07/14/09 04:29 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
by dancing i personally meant ballet, jazz, tap...now i can't do those anymore but i can do low impact dancing

We don't know who we are until we see what we can do. --Martha Grimes

AS fighter w/ chronic iritis, Metabolic Syndrome (Diabetes, HBP, High Cholest), PCOS
DanceAthlete #234847 06/12/12 12:23 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hello, I was just diagnosed with AS and I am a dancer. I was wondering if you could give me any information on living with AS as a dancer? Before I was diagnosed I was working towards a professional dance career in the contemporary jazz field. Could you give me any insight from personal experience? Thank you.

DanceAthlete #234854 06/12/12 05:15 AM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
AS is a very variable disease, it is completely debilitating for some, and mild for others, there have been several professional athletes with AS, look at this guy:
http://www.spondylitis.org/press/news/557-as-iron-man.aspx

DanceAthlete #235095 06/16/12 07:16 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Before I started experiencing the aches and pains of AS, I used to love doing dancing and dance areobics. Since my diagnosis, I had to give up high impact activities such as dance areobics. I was devastated at first, but there is a reason (it is for my safety and comfort). I now walk and swim.

Diagnosed in September 2010 with AS. On Remicade once every eight weeks, folic acid and vitamin B 12 everyday.

DanceAthlete #245436 12/15/12 03:05 AM
First time visitor
First time visitor
DanceAthlete,

Should you re-visit this post anytime soon, I'd like to say hello. I have been dancing on & off since 2nd grade. I was just diagnosed with spondyloarthritis this year, after 15 years of being treated for dance injuries from coast to coast. I have always been wiling to spend the time & money it took to get me back into the studio. Now that I know what I have been fighting all along, I am seriously questioning if this is a battle I want to keep fighting. I already avoid many other activities due to pain (yoga, gymnastics, long hikes, etc.). But considering quitting jazz dancing is bringing me tremendous sadness as I have always said that dancing is the love of my life. Would be nice to know someone who can relate.

JiveAlive #250925 04/16/13 05:16 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hi! I'm not DanceAthlete, but I am a dancer and I would love to discuss how you've been dealing with this as a dancer. I was diagnosed last year and it's been a rocky year, especially in terms of not being able to dance as much as I want. I am still pursuing a career in dance, currently teaching and performing when I can, but still want to keep the possibility of dancing with a company open, although at this point I'm not sure my body can handle it. I agree, it would be very helpful to discuss these things with someone who can relate to this in the dance field.

JiveAlive #250926 04/16/13 05:17 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
That post above was directed to JiveAlive's post above smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard