Print Thread
What To Expect #165051 01/13/10 05:09 PM
D
DoDFire Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
D
I have been in the Air Guard for 18 years and I am a Military Firefighter, I was just diagnosed with Spondylitis and the Medical Squadron doesn't know it YET. My Fire Department knows that I have a problem and on the days that I'm on duty and the pain keeps me down I do all the dispatch and communications that way I don't put myself or the the guys I work with in a tight spot if something bad happens.When the medical squadron gets wind of this and I'm sure they will,the first thing they will want to do is show me the front gate, but I also know the Airforce doesn't want a fireman with a bad back and I understand the logic due to safety. Just wondering about the next roller coaster ride. Thanks,

Re: What To Expect [Re: DoDFire] #165106 01/14/10 03:58 AM
F
Free10 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
F
Is there a problem with showing you the front gate soon?? Is this causing problems in your civilian job too?? We can't exactly know whats next until you give us more info.

Re: What To Expect [Re: Free10] #165170 01/14/10 09:06 PM
D
DoDFire Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
D
First off you have to over look me when I talk in circles and I do that often.I didn't know if there were any "Guardsman" on here that have had issues with retention.I have 18 years of service and I can retire 28 March 2013. I would love to get my 20 year letter and secure that end of my career. I just have a feeling that when the medical squadron where I am at finds out that I have a problem they will kick me out and I won't make it to my retirement in the military even though I can still do the job (but pay for it later).My civilian employer is the state and I work out of the same station as I do when I'm on Drill/UTA status. I drive the same trucks and have the same boss the only difference is the pay and uniform one weekend a month.During the week (state job) I can work the alarm room when I'm have'n a bad day and all is well because it's just computer and phone work and I'm not doing anything physical. My full time job is pretty much secure, but even though it's the same job, the military is totally different with their mind set and I have no clue as what to expect from the Air Guard. I have heard stories about folks at my base being kicked out due to what ever reason and not as much as getting a bye see ya later.I'm just afraid they will kick me out and those 18 years will be for nothing.

So I guess it's the following questions on the "Guard" side,,,
*Are there any Guardsman on here that have walk'd this path?
*will they kick me out because of Spondilitis?
*If they do and I have 18-19 years do I get anything (Guard retirement) for my time?

Second, I'm afraid to say anything due to the unknown, and I don't want to find out about the bad side of this if there is one.

Re: What To Expect [Re: DoDFire] #165246 01/15/10 10:06 PM
M
mmparker Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Below is a key law for your situation that you need to keep in your hip pocket. In essence, if found unfit and you have at least 15 years you can still received a retirement at age 60, discounted 2.5% for every year short of 20. This presumes your Spondylitis is not deemed line of duty. If it is LOD, deemed unfitting and rated 30% of more by the Air force, you could be retired for disability with immediate disability retirement. If rated 20% or less however, you could end up separated with severance pay. It is always good to lock in the twenty letter, if possible, to eliminate the risk of a less that optimal outcome.

Mike

10 USC 12731b. Special rule for members with physical disabilities not incurred in line of duty
(a) In the case of a member of the Selected Reserve of a reserve component who no longer meets the qualifications for membership in the Selected Reserve solely because the member is unfit because of physical disability, the Secretary concerned may, for purposes of section 12731 of this title, determine to treat the member as having met the service requirements of subsection (a)(2) of that section and provide the member with the notification required by subsection (d) of that section if the member has completed at least 15, and less than 20, years of service computed under section 12732 of this title.
(b) Notification under subsection (a) may not be made if—
(1) the disability was the result of the member’s intentional misconduct, willful neglect, or willful failure to comply with standards and qualifications for retention established by the Secretary concerned; or
(2) the disability was incurred during a period of unauthorized absence.

Re: What To Expect [Re: mmparker] #165255 01/16/10 12:03 AM
D
DoDFire Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
D
Mike, Thank You very much!! I am just now starting to educate myself on all of this.Thanks for your time and info.

Re: What To Expect [Re: DoDFire] #165285 01/16/10 09:30 AM
F
Free10 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
F
Originally Posted By: DoDFire
First off you have to over look me when I talk in circles and I do that often.I didn't know if there were any "Guardsman" on here that have had issues with retention.I have 18 years of service and I can retire 28 March 2013. I would love to get my 20 year letter and secure that end of my career. I just have a feeling that when the medical squadron where I am at finds out that I have a problem they will kick me out and I won't make it to my retirement in the military even though I can still do the job (but pay for it later).My civilian employer is the state and I work out of the same station as I do when I'm on Drill/UTA status. I drive the same trucks and have the same boss the only difference is the pay and uniform one weekend a month.During the week (state job) I can work the alarm room when I'm have'n a bad day and all is well because it's just computer and phone work and I'm not doing anything physical. My full time job is pretty much secure, but even though it's the same job, the military is totally different with their mind set and I have no clue as what to expect from the Air Guard. I have heard stories about folks at my base being kicked out due to what ever reason and not as much as getting a bye see ya later.I'm just afraid they will kick me out and those 18 years will be for nothing.

So I guess it's the following questions on the "Guard" side,,,
*Are there any Guardsman on here that have walk'd this path?
*will they kick me out because of Spondilitis?
*If they do and I have 18-19 years do I get anything (Guard retirement) for my time?

Second, I'm afraid to say anything due to the unknown, and I don't want to find out about the bad side of this if there is one.

Alrighty some answers on what the questions actually were. I would guess you could sneak by them to get the 20 if you look at it as X number of months left and getting closer by the day and you could reveal its existence or they could find out just a few months before the 20 years is up and it wouldn't matter bt then. You will get money and perhaps more than if you were fine and just completing the 20 and should get even more over time. When they do examine you do not move past the point of pain, as in bending. If you have trouble breathing have that noted or if one eye might get bloodshot red every so many months and become light sensitive report it along with any other aches and pains. This disease is not just about the back or bones.

If you have any questions or problems just yelp.

Re: What To Expect [Re: DoDFire] #166627 02/01/10 04:55 PM
Missy Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Hello,

I understand your situation because I am in the same boat - just not a FireFighter. I also come from the medical squadron and can tell you that I looked this up right away to find out if it would end my career.

It's okay to have Spondylitis - just not if it prevents you from working or you spend a lot of time in the hospital. Also, if you take the disease modifying medication.

So - if you miss a lot of work and take the disease modifying medication you will be out. It takes time for all of this to happen so don't get too worried about it.

Hope that helps

Re: What To Expect [Re: Missy] #167333 02/10/10 05:29 PM
D
DoDFire Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
D
Thanks Missy,,,,,,

Re: What To Expect [Re: DoDFire] #167614 02/15/10 11:09 PM
D
DianeM Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
D
When's the next time you will have a "40 and over" physical? If you are even that old! You might be able to get away with having a temporary profile for your back. "Pulled muscle" or something. A note from your doctor sent up to Medcom would take care of that - atleast for a little while (or until your doctor clears you for full duty).

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan