Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: House cleaning
gramtam #217402 09/16/11 09:21 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I have a terrible time cleaning. I have a grabber to help pick up things off the floor. I use a broom & dust pan for a lot of clean-up. My kids don't seem to know where garbage cans are in my house. Grrrrr! My older 3 kids do a lot of cleaning. They're 13, 9, & 8. We've got an almost 4 year old too. We have very strict rules about cleanliness before playtime, tv, video games, etc. My kids' rooms have to be pretty much cleaned up before they're allowed to do fun things. The 2 midde kids alternate emptying the dishwasher & wiping up the bathroom each day. My oldest loads the dishes, cleans the sinks, counters, & table every night. They all help do laundry now. I can't do much. We have 2 hampers in the laundry room; darks & colors, lights & whites. My kids are pretty good about putting clothes in the right hampers. I start loads most of the time, then my hubby or 13 year old switch it to the dryer. Any of the 3 older kids or my hubby sort the dry clothes. We gotva 4 section laundry sorter that we keep in the hallway next to the laundry room. 1 section for each kid. The kids or hubby sort the clothes into the 4 hanging canvas hampers, then I fold hubby & my clothes, towels, sheets, etc. My kids are responsible for putting all their own clothes away now. I got sick & tired of folding all their clothes, then finding a mess of un-folded mess in their drawers. I still fold my youngest's clothes & he helps me put them away in his drawers. We also have a sock bin on the dryer. We just throw all the clean socks into it. The kids never match their socks & put them in their drawers, they just find a pair in thesock bin each day. Lol. I match mine, hubby's, & youngest's socks though.

I have to admit that the hard stuff like vacuuming, mopping, dusting, cleaning out cabinets, etc doesn't get done nearly as often as I'd like. I try to vacuum or have someone else do it twice a week in the shared areas of the house. My girls vacuum their room, hubby vacuums the boy's room & mine usually. My 13 year old cleans the kids' bathroom each weekend & I clean my sinks, counters, sweep, mop, my bathroom, & hubby cleans the toilet. I don't do my bathroom jobs every week, I do it when it needs it, or sometimes when I just can't stand the dirty sink & counters any more.

We don't like the idea of a a housekeeper. It feels too invasive. We had a teenage girl coming in 2 days/week for 2-3 hours in the afternoon to clean, help with kids, etc, but it didn't last long. It felt too weird. I'm just really glad that my kids are great helpers & pitch in to do their share.

-Jenn. SAHM with 4 kids. Diagnosed with AS('08) Psoriasis, probable Sjogrens(won't do lip biopsy), Fibromyalgia, Chiari Malformation, PCOS, endometriosis, diabetes(type 1), metabolic syndrome, mild hypothyroidism...
Remicade & MTX.

*I am in no way associated with the medical profession other than doing my best to keep them in business. Any advice I give is purely my own opinion and should not be substituted for qualified professional care.
Jennyfoo #217447 09/16/11 10:54 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
Tammy, I wouldn't worry about cleaning up a lot if your mom is coming. She knows you have health problems and she shouldn't expect you to keep everything perfect. If you feel self conscious, just pick up the clutter on the tables and counter and dust quickly with a duster, or feather duster. Vacuum the traffic areas and do not bother doing a deep clean where you have to move furniture. Spray some cleaner into the shower/tub, and while it's working, clean the toilet and wiped down the sink and counter. Wipe down the shower, flush the toilet and sweep the floor. Do similar type of cleaning in the kitchen. It shouldn't take more then 1/2 hr in each room. If you get tired or start hurting, stop and rest. Who cares how it looks? She is coming to see you, not your house.

Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain
avonldy #217920 09/22/11 05:55 PM
G
gramtam Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
G
Thanks Donna:

I definately did what you said and all was good.
Mom left this morning and now I am totally exhausted and my house is a mess. She was here for 5 days and it looks like I haven't dusted or washed my floors for a month.
I just want to cry because first of all I am slow,and exhausted and then the pain sets in as soon as I do any kind of bending. That's hard not to do when cleaning.
I will figure it out, I just get sad and frustrated because I just want to be the way I was 30 years ago.
Thanks to all of you.

Tammy McNaught
gramtam #217923 09/22/11 06:01 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
Just take you time putting things back together. Use long handled tools that will save your back. And like I said before, only work for a short period of time. Sin down and ice your back in between. Thats what I do.

Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain
avonldy #217943 09/22/11 09:36 PM
G
gramtam Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
G
Donna, I do all those things you suggest,I just get so overwhelmed and down about it. I know I am too take things in stride and be patient with myself,I just don't want to accept that this is the way life is. Everywhere I look there are normal people doing what they want and when they want. I also know I need to quit feeling sorry for myself because I am not happy and I want sooooo much to be happy. I just don't know how to get out of this mode. How did you come to terms with disease?

Tammy McNaught
gramtam #218087 09/25/11 12:10 AM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
I didn't think I had any choice. At my age, I just try living one day at a time. When I am having a good day, I try to get as much done as I can because I know that when those not so good days come around, I won't get much done.

Donna

asgirl #218310 09/27/11 04:46 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
Hi everyone,
I seem to be in the same boat as everyone else.Bending down is almost immpossible these days.I've gotten used to using the vacuum extension to do the baseboards,cobwebs etc...Washing the floors is a daily battle as I watch my grandchildren and they are mess.I'm looking to find a mop that is lightweight that can be used daily.No swiffer,too expensive to use all the time.
the old mop and bucket has to go!!
My husband has been tapped to do the heavy cleaning,things that have any extensive bending or lifting.
My biggest complaint is our washing machine.I'm 5ft(actually 4 11 1/2)and reaching into the drum to lift out the clothes is
very painful and almost impossible.Before AS I had to stand on my tippy toes to reach to the bottom,now I can't do that.
The solution I suppose is a front loader,but money prohibits that.So I hope my hubby can get used to doing the wash,I'll handle the drying;)

GTHINAHB #218435 09/29/11 02:53 AM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
GTHINAHB, my husband has taken over all laundry duties! It started with me being unable to carry laundry up and down stairs after knee surgery and has continued because I can't do the constant up and down to load and unload washer and also the dryer. The dryer is almost harder on me than the washer.

I sure hope your husband is open to doing this for you. It has been a huge help for me.

Ann
HLAB27+
62 years old flexeril, tramadol, tramadol er, percocet, lidoderm patch, flector patch, voltaren gel + other meds for other conditions + lots of vitamins

aslee9 #218452 09/29/11 01:04 PM
I
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
My husband and I each do our own laundry, though I inevitably end up folding it. I'm glad we have a single level house so there are no stairs involved in the task. Also, I'm not as bad off yet (or hopefully ever) as some of you ladies so it's still a feasible task. There have definitely been times in the worst flares where it's been a real challenge though. I really empathize with those of you whose damage has made that kind of challenge permanent. frown

Mary, 25, happily married pro photographer, momma to 2 great danes.
Dx: Psoriatic Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis, Sjogren's, IBS, Hiatal Hernia, & possible Endometriosis.
Meds: Stelara, Methotrexate, Relafen, Omeprazole, Lyrica, Tizanidine, Voltaren Gel, Tramadol
iviary #219406 10/14/11 05:50 PM
G
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
G
OK I'm going to make everyone here really mad at me... but he needs the credit.

My husband does about 80% of the house work. He does the laundry (like others it's in the basement and I can't do the stairs and carry laundry) he does the cooking, the dishes, the kitchen, the vacuuming. I do help out when I can. As long as I only vacuum for about 10 minutes I'm ok, any longer and I'm in bad shape. We have a swiffer which works great and is very light. I do wish it was a bit taller though as I feel like I have to bend to use it. I do dishes when I'm feeling ok. Cook when I feel ok. But it's not often.

I do some gardening. Like the other day I planted the garlic and when i tried to stand up, well let's just say it's a good thing my husband wasn't home because he gets freaked out when things like that happen. I couldn't stand up straight. I was totally bent at the waist and it took about 2 minutes to stand straight enough to walk. It happens when I bend over to do any kind of work. I try not to let him see it much since he worries.

I do the bathroom though. It'll take me a day or two to do the sink and tub and toilet. But I make myself do it.

What's just as bad for me? Shopping! I can't stand to do it. I do have a handicap hang tag, but man it hurts to do that! The bending to low shelves, stretching to high ones, standing in line, walking around. Dodging the rude people who think you're too slow. It's exhausting!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard