#227806 02/20/12 07:45 AM
F
Fletch Offline OP
First time visitor
OP Offline
First time visitor
F
Hi there,
I (for lack of a better word) 'celebrated' my 10 year anniversary of AS last Friday. It was such a mental barrier to overcome...realising that I have suffered for an entire decade and thinking about what has happened, what is yet to happen and what could have been. It scares me how quickly the past 10 years have gone, and how I have actually got through them. Each day I seem to wake up and ask myself how I am going to get through the day and I just can't believe I have been doing that since I was 15 years old.
Anyway, I live in Australia and my rheumatologist has me as his number one patient to start a TNF inhibitor trial later in the year. We have a public health system, so it is a trial for pre-radiographic females in the hope that it will one day be a free medication available to those who require it. The trial is for 5 years. I am so excited for the prospects that this drug offers, and after reading so much about it, I really hope that it can change my life for the better. But, I am filled with sadness too because I am recently married. My husband and I were not planning of having children in the near future, but to know that it is not a possibility for the next 5 years is something I am struggling to accept. It just feels like another kick that AS has delivered – the choice of a pain free life or a family. It just doesn’t seem like a fair choice. My husband and I agree that this opportunity of the trial is just far too good to give up, but it doesn’t make it suck any less. I am trying to focus on the positives, but it just seems like a hard thing to do. I don’t know…I guess this is just another ‘joy’ of living with a chronic disease. If we become pregnant during the trial, I am obviously removed due to the unknown side effects, but there is no guarantee that I will get on another trial or when the drug will become available on as part of our national health system.
Why does AS always have to be a choice? It seems like I am always choosing between something and I guess this is no different.
Thank you for letting me vent – I just needed to share my latest mental battle with someone who knows what I am going through.

Re: TNF Trial and Pregnancy
Fletch #227818 02/20/12 03:39 PM
I
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
Oof. That's rough. So you're 25, it sounds like? I know it doesn't make the trade-off much easier, especially with the wear and tear this disease has on our bodies, but you probably have a number of good child bearing years ahead of you even after a 5 year medication trial. My mom didn't have her first until 32 and had me at 39. Certainly the risk of Downs and other complications rises as we age, but you're not trading away the possibility of having children at all. There's always adoption too. It's not fair that we have to make these choices, but it's the crappy hand we've been dealt, huh? I hope you get into the trial, and that it works wonders for you for a good 5 years, making the trade-off worth it.

Mary, 25, happily married pro photographer, momma to 2 great danes.
Dx: Psoriatic Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis, Sjogren's, IBS, Hiatal Hernia, & possible Endometriosis.
Meds: Stelara, Methotrexate, Relafen, Omeprazole, Lyrica, Tizanidine, Voltaren Gel, Tramadol

Moderated by  Melissa Velez 

Link Copied to Clipboard