techniques for cutting flares?
#263031 01/03/14 04:10 AM
G
Gibbo Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
G
Hey folks - I'm new here. I'm a HLA B27 positive ank sponder who also experienced occasional inflam bowel disease and autoimmune autonomic neuropathy.

I've got the post Xmas rush flare happening at the moment. My usual techniques to calm it
include diet, fasting and licorice tea as well as NSAIDs.

anyone got any other obscure techniques? Bed rest? Bitter gourd?

Re: techniques for cutting flares?
Gibbo #263049 01/03/14 10:52 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Bed rest does us more harm than good - rather, try to keep moving, but nothing too vigorous or exhausting or painful.

I've not seen any "obscure" techniques that panned out unfortunately. Sometimes if you flare from overdoing it, the main thing to do is to dial it back and ride it out. Heating pad is good too!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
Gibbo #263055 01/04/14 01:53 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hi, and welcome!

The only effective technique for really slowing down flares (that I'm aware of) is the drug we love to hate- prednisone.

Biologics have definitely reduced the severity of my flares, but I still have them while on Remicade.

If you are asking about IBD flares, that's a different matter. For me, that would require a call to the gastro.

Good luck!

41 y/o female, diagnosed RA 2009, sacroiliitis, peripheral arthritis, most major joints involved, HLA-B27- but suspect AS or spondylitis, Raynaud's, GERD, currently taking Orencia sub-Q, Mtx via injection, citalopram, omeprazole, tramadol, Cyclobenzaprine.

2012 - diagnosed with colitis and iritis and seronegative arthritis.

Failed - Enbrel (stopped working after 10 months), Humira (no effect) and Remicade (failed after two years).
Gibbo #263061 01/04/14 03:59 AM
S
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
For me, alternating lying down and frequent moving around does help.

Shirley
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking enbrel, methotrexate, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler and eating low starch/low GI.
Gibbo #263074 01/04/14 03:28 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Moving gently helps. I usually set some sort of idiotic goal, like getting rid of paperwork but making myself move to do it. Or doing slowly, housework. One time I woke up in the middle of the night, and couldn't sleep. I cleaned the toaster oven and first took it outside to shake out the crumbs. Almost got it from a skunk!!!

Fasting is worse for me, eating a lot of small healthy meals. Califlower soup this time and pasta.

Like has been said, tiny doses of prednesone. Half a 5mg pill for a couple days. But I don't have bowel issues.

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.
Gibbo #263088 01/04/14 07:57 PM
C
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Definitely not bedrest for me - that will just make me seize up completely. I have fairly constant inflammatory pain, but over the course of a few months it will build up to being just about intolerable. At that point I have been hitting it with a short course of prednisolone (15 or 20 mg a day for no more than 10 days), which is enough to give me a break and get me back to being able to function. If I was still able to take NSAIDs, I'd be using those first at full dose. I don't do no starch, but try to keep low starch (does me just as much good as strict NSD), so in a flare I will be a lot more careful with my diet (cutting out grains completely, when I normally eat some rice, and reducing sugar), perhaps take a short afternoon nap (no more than 3 hours), and decrease the distance I walk but increase the frequency of short walks, getting outside in the fresh air as much as I can (I do use crutches, so am probably more limited than many folk here).

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares
Gibbo #263097 01/05/14 05:22 AM
T
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
T
Hello, Gibbo:

It takes patience to fast the four or five days to break a flare, but oils and especially GLA from borage seed oil can help very much. I have mentioned fresh wheatgrass juice often in this context, also.

During very bad flares, I could sometimes sit them out in the sauna alternating in water temperatures and rarely working out but seems that lactic acid and ketone bodies could have some beneficial properties, if not anti-inflammatory. I would not touch NSAIDs with a bargepole--they greatly accelerated my AS and haven't gone near them in 15 years, oddly coinciding with the amount of time I have not had 'active' AS symptoms!

HEALTH,
John

Nota Bene: I am not a medical doctor, and my views do not represent the opinions of the SAA
AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

Gibbo #263098 01/05/14 07:54 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Remicade greatly decreased my flares, but steroids is what I normally take for them. Heat is always good - hot tubs especially since you can get your whole body in 104 degree F water!

Dx w/ AS in 1985. HLA-B27+. Left total hip replacement in 1998, lost 2" of height due to osteoporosis. Relevant meds include Remicade, Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma.7 hour spine fusion surgery for cervical spondylotic myelopathy and radiculopathy but have residual myelopathy. I have generalized osteoarthritis and have worn out hips, knees, big toes, and some fingers are fused or growing bones. Disabled since 2015. Chronic pain patient on a high dose of opioids. Live in zero gravity chair.
Gibbo #263101 01/05/14 01:29 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Getting into a hot tub as suggested above has been my go to for 3 decades. socks scarf at night. Aleve and arthritis strength tylenol at bedtime with a little snack.

Diagnosed 2001 after years of joint pain. Remicade started 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Iritis.Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006 > DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
>Ahmed Shunt 2016 >DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Angina and stent placement 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Gibbo #263283 01/11/14 09:40 PM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
I love my hot tub (wished I had gotten one sooner). But the relief from inflammatory pain is pretty temporary. However, it often makes me feel better overall, so easier to deal with AS pain.

Movement is definitely good, though finding the right balance between too little and too much is hard. Walking is definitely better than standing. I try to remind myself to get up and walk around the office at work often during the day. At home on weekends, I force myself to walk on the treadmill a couple times a day - even if it's not very long, I need to loosen up or I get bad.

[Linked Image from gravatar.com]
Cincinnati Joe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard