Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: seymour] #280648 06/26/18 09:21 PM
C
CBMom Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
C
Wow, that sounds great!! It is so reassuring to hear that. As far as I know, there are 2 more IL-17 inhibitors in the pipeline. One of them blocks both IL-17A and IL-17F (the current IL-17 inhibitor, Cosentyx, just blocks IL-17A). And then I know the are JAK inhibitors like Xeljanz coming. Xeljanz has already been approved for PsA.

I would definitely do the MRI. At least then you will know if you're dealing with inflammation or something else. PT would help with muscular or even mechanical pain.

Good luck!!

Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: seymour] #280650 06/26/18 10:07 PM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
I will do the MRI. But there is a waiting list of a few months. In Canada we have have free healthcare, but sometimes it's longer. wink

I could pay to have it faster but I don't think it would really be beneficial in my situation.

She said that maybe I do have a bit of inflammation, but she doubts it's a major flare as she feels I would be sore in different areas and my ROM wouldn't be as good, and that my CRP, based on my own history, would probably be problematic if it was anything major.

She also told me that having some small syndesmophytes does not necessarily mean that they will totally bridge and to stop panicking with fusion as it's a long and unpredictable process. She insisted that with my disease presentation and good reaction to treatment that she really, really doubt that I will see extensive fusion and crippling pain. She said "You won't be hunched over and crippled, now or in 30 years. Take that out of your head. We are in 2018, not 1995."

She also said "Of course I can't 100% guarantee you will never fuse, but it is my professional opinion that you are highly unlikely to be a very severe case."

Honestly it was such a relief. I still have pain and discomfort to a degree and it comes and goes. I'm positive that the MRI will show something. Maybe soft tissue related, maybe mechanical, but it can't just be nothing. But for now all I can do is wait, do the MRI and trust my rheumy and life.

On a side note how do people cope with the idea of fusing? I see a lot of people that seem really chill about it.

Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: seymour] #280652 06/27/18 03:23 AM
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Sounds like a really good report. I'm glad she was able to ease your fears. smile

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: SouthernMoss] #280654 06/27/18 01:47 PM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Originally Posted by SouthernMoss
Sounds like a really good report. I'm glad she was able to ease your fears. smile

I still have fears but hearing my rheumy say all these things was great.

This morning I'm feeling a bit achy again, but I have accepted that I will live with this for a while until we find a cause. Maybe the cause is just: AS that's more active for a while cause it happens. Simple as that.

I will have to learn not to freak out about fusion. Would love to hear people's thoughts about fusion anxiety. smile

Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: seymour] #280659 06/27/18 06:36 PM
B
BDF Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
I have tried multiple biologics before with limited success. My RA MD wanted me to try Simponi but my insurance is forcing me to try Kevzara.

Has anyone tried Kevzara?
If so how did you handle it?
Did it work for you?
Comments or complaints?

Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: seymour] #280670 06/28/18 07:02 PM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Well spam, now I have gastritis from all the NSAIDS I took. Always something it seems...

Does gastritis or NSAIDS overuse cause diarrhea and all that good stuff? I blame the NSAIDS because it's the obvious thing but maybe I have a bug...

Thanks guys and girls! smile

Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: seymour] #280671 06/28/18 09:48 PM
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Originally Posted by seymour
Does gastritis or NSAIDS overuse cause diarrhea and all that good stuff?

It can. And sometimes it's not even from overuse. I found out many years ago that I can't take naproxen. A single pill gives me what I have described as "battery acid" diarrhea. Every. Single. Time. I refuse to ever take it again. Sorry for the TMI.

I've used many NSAIDs over the years, and naproxen is the only one that does this to me.

Of course, it could just be a bug.

Be sure to stay hydrated.

Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: SouthernMoss] #280674 06/29/18 12:20 AM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Originally Posted by SouthernMoss
Originally Posted by seymour
Does gastritis or NSAIDS overuse cause diarrhea and all that good stuff?

It can. And sometimes it's not even from overuse. I found out many years ago that I can't take naproxen. A single pill gives me what I have described as "battery acid" diarrhea. Every. Single. Time. I refuse to ever take it again. Sorry for the TMI.

I've used many NSAIDs over the years, and naproxen is the only one that does this to me.

Of course, it could just be a bug.

Be sure to stay hydrated.

Naproxen is exactly what I took. I didn't even take that much, I was more on Ibuprofen, but every time I took Naproxen I woke up with an upset stomach the next day that would pass during the day. But now I took some again two days ago and since yesterday I've been having a dull belly ache, cramps after eating and some diarrhea.

It feels like what happened to me years ago with Diclofenac. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Does it usually last long?

Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: seymour] #280675 06/29/18 04:19 PM
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
My reaction to naproxen would typically only last a few hours.

I would suggest you ask your rheumy about trying a different NSAID. Mobic (Meloxicam) and Celebrex (Celecoxib) are supposed to be easier to take. There are lots of others you can try. And if you aren't already, ask about taking Prilosec or Nexium along with the NSAID to help protect your stomach and gut.

Re: Question to those who switched biologics [Re: seymour] #280676 06/29/18 04:28 PM
S
seymour Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
I'm currently on Prilosec and off NSAIDS for a while.

Luckily my pain seems to have subsided for now. I've not had significant pain in the last 9 days or so.

I will buy probiotics too to help my gut heal.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto