Print Thread
Anyone with Kidney Complications? #282327 01/04/19 01:02 AM
L
ljohnsy Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
L
This is my first post in a long time. I was diagnosed with AS 10 years ago. For the past three years or so, I have had microscopic blood in my urine. One nephrologist I saw after some further testing suspected IgA Nephropathy but another I saw recently wasn't so sure. Does anyone else have kidney issues along with spondyloarthritis?

Laura -- age 40, diagnosed with AS 11/09. Mom of 2. Currently taking Humira.
Re: Anyone with Kidney Complications? [Re: ljohnsy] #282431 01/17/19 01:18 AM
S
SadieP1989 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I've had kidney issues (infections, stones when I was a kid and one kidney infection as an adult) and lately microscopic blood in my urine also. I also had chronic UTI's as a kid. I don't know if anything was related though. I didn't think to ask urologist. They were going to do a cystoscopy a few months ago but decided against it. Not sure if this helps.

💞Every day is a gift 💞
Re: Anyone with Kidney Complications? [Re: ljohnsy] #282828 03/28/19 12:25 AM
L
lauriedarlin Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
I have had microscopic blood in my urine for over 10 years. In the last 5 years I started having increasing protein in my urine as well. I had several bouts with kidney stones as well. I now take a pill to reduce the pressure in my kidneys, which slows down the protein that passes in my urine. I have always felt it is related to the A.S., but doctors won’t really say for sure, because they really don’t know.

Re: Anyone with Kidney Complications? [Re: ljohnsy] #282829 03/28/19 12:35 AM
W
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
one of my earliest symptoms was urethritis. i also had 2 bouts with kidney stones (none in the last 30 years).

Starting at 18 yrs old; 1971 Reiter's Syndrome. Diagnosed AS 2001.
Started Remicade 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.

Right Eye Glaucoma- Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006.
Right eye DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
Right eye Ahmed Shunt 2016.
Right eye DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. 2004. Cured by Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.

ICU RN - Seattle, WA

~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Re: Anyone with Kidney Complications? [Re: ljohnsy] #282983 04/30/19 07:22 PM
Agentb Offline
First time visitor
First time visitor
Diagnosed with AS last year after 10 years of pain.

I developed blood in the urine, both visible and microscopic, in January 2019 with no other symptoms. I was sent to a urologist. Urologist ordered a Cat-Scan, which revealed small kidney stones and a small kidney cyst. She also performed a cystography, which proved negative for bladder issues.

I never felt excruciating pain I've heard people with kidney stones have. And, I'm still bleeding four months later. My rheumatologist says it's not the Humira. I'm next being sent to a gastroenterologist/nephrologist because that Cat-Scan revealed a hidden mass/neoplasm on my duodenum.

Meanwhile, no one knows if the bleeding is caused by kidney stones, which apparently are not being passed, or some other random reason.

Female, diagnosed in 2018 after years of pain.
Humira
Re: Anyone with Kidney Complications? [Re: ljohnsy] #283424 07/28/19 05:49 PM
V
VickyMcK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
V
I now have 50% kidney function. On June 28th I hurt so bad, low back and chest pain, that I was admitted to the hospital and given 3 IV’s of fluids and given morphine for the pain!! I was in the hospital for 32 hours and bad kidney function was found and I couldn’t breathe as the costochondritis was horrible. I came home and was told to follow up with the nephrologist who saw me in the hospital. My kidney function in the hospital was 42% and was still released. I’m drinking 4 bottles of 16.9 ounces of water daily and kidney function has increased to low 50%. I can’t get anyone to tell me it’s from my AS but I know it is. I’m on Simponi and I’ve never had as many problems with my AS ever on remicade. Simponi has also not stopped the dry eyes, which caused my corneas to both be scratched so bad I’ve had to wear protective contacts since November of 2018. Stay away from Simponi and hopefully you’ll get better. I also didn’t have kidney problems on remicade.

VickyMcK