Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: Anonymous] #283320 07/01/19 06:36 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
so interesting. I'm grateful to read the thoughtful posts on this Forum.

I'm glad people find diets that they find beneficial.

Even in this short discussion thread, there is quite a variety of approaches Mediterranean, low starch, and vegetarian.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: FayeK] #283321 07/01/19 06:38 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Thanks for sharing the keystone diet. just from the description, the diet looks familiar and recommended.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: RAHMBA] #283323 07/02/19 02:25 PM
FayeK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Originally Posted by RAHMBA
Thanks for sharing the keystone diet. just from the description, the diet looks familiar and recommended.

Thank you for your encouragement. I've been following the Advanced Plan plus allergy elimination for just over 30 days. I haven't noticed any difference. frown I know it can take longer but was hopeful. So, I soldier on. I have started adding back in some "allergy" items that are NS. I'm switching to sources of dairy that are not cow because dairy is suspected to be an issue for me. Nuts are next because I found a NS bread recipe that used almond flour.

You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.
Bye for now ~
Faye
Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: FayeK] #283329 07/02/19 06:09 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Hi Faye, I worked with a doc and did an allergy elimination diet. I don't recall how long I did it for, but I believe it was for a few months. I found it very helpful, but in unintentional ways. First, I found out that think I feel better when I weigh on my lower end (I lost weight during it). second, I found one food that consistently sets off an acute flare. third, I found that some foods I'm totally fine with, even though they are problematic for other people.

so really helpful for me. so glad I did that.

Best wishes.

Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: RAHMBA] #283345 07/06/19 08:58 PM
FayeK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
so really helpful for me. so glad I did that.

That's great to know, happy to hear it was worth it for you. It's a lot of work but I have no regrets. I decided I'd rather do the allergy elimination now than need to do it later. Although I understand that food sensitivities change and a repeat process may need to happen after I get my microbiome in line. I was surprised to find a food that I didn't eliminate at first (conflicting info) causing a negative reaction. It was easy to catch with all the others out of the picture. cool

Bye for now ~
Faye
Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: Anonymous] #283355 07/08/19 08:33 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Wonderful Faye. keep it up!

By the way, I've never heard or read anyone with this reaction, so it's probably just me. My kryptonite is turkey. It always causes a flare for me. I only tested it because I have a history of flares on Thanksgiving.

Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: Anonymous] #283462 08/12/19 02:59 PM
I
Imnotsure Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
Wonderful Faye. keep it up!

By the way, I've never heard or read anyone with this reaction, so it's probably just me. My kryptonite is turkey. It always causes a flare for me. I only tested it because I have a history of flares on Thanksgiving.

Did you try just eating the turkey only Thanksgiving? Meaning no spices no potatoes no stuffing no cranberry sauce no nothing. Poultry and meat should not cause a flare-up and it's raw or cooked form with no spices on it other than just salt. most likely it's something that you're eating at Thanksgiving once a year with your turkey and that's probably the cause. I've been down this road with myself.

Being on the as diet you shouldn't be having any spices at all including turmeric which actually inflammatory reducing once it wears off. Red and black pepper is a big No-No.

Last edited by Imnotsure; 08/12/19 03:00 PM.
Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: Imnotsure] #283464 08/12/19 06:11 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Thanks Inmotsure. This seems like an important issue for you. perhaps this will help: I've tested Turkey in many ways over many years. It's very clear that it is the Turkey. I don't recall trying Turkey produced in other countries. it hasn't been important to me to do that. perhaps that is a factor, although I'm not sure that turkey production in the USA is that much different than other animals.

Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: Imnotsure] #283476 08/14/19 03:26 PM
FayeK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Originally Posted by Imnotsure
... turmeric which actually inflammatory reducing once it wears off.

Sorry, I don't understand that statement. Are you saying turmeric only reduces inflammation after it is out of your system? That doesn't make sense to me. Will you please explain what you mean? Thank you.

Bye for now ~
Faye
Re: [Sticky] Diet and Ankylosing Spondylitis [Re: FayeK] #283485 08/16/19 03:12 PM
I
Imnotsure Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
Originally Posted by FayeK
Originally Posted by Imnotsure
... turmeric which actually inflammatory reducing once it wears off.

Sorry, I don't understand that statement. Are you saying turmeric only reduces inflammation after it is out of your system? That doesn't make sense to me. Will you please explain what you mean? Thank you.

Turmeric does help a lot of people and it could also have negative effects along with positive effects. before I get into it the other thing is most people take tumeric wrong. you can buy turmeric with pipperene however it doesn't do anything other than peeing out money. To increase the effects of turmeric The pepperine has to be taken alone 1 hour before taking tumeric because what the pepperine does it switches off an enzyme in your kidney that signals nutrients to be flagged for removl. What this does it allows the turmeric to linger in your system much longer increasing the bioavailability by a lot. That also said you would have to be sure that if any medications you are taking are not supposed to linger in your system. Meaning they're supposed to get in and get out. so just spaced out your medications 1 hour before or after taking piperine. Pepperine is a huge inflammatory inducing to your body along with other spices including turmeric. Both of these will reduce information but once those anti-inflammatory effects wear off inflammation now sets in because of the plant material displayed on your cells making your body attack it. there's very unlikely a supplement out there that I have not tested and out of the hundreds I have only a handful do anything. I've been studying and researching for almost 5 years putting anywhere 2 to 3 hours every single day trying to fix myself which I basically have and also for my son as once I got diagnosed i hot him tested which came back positive. This allows me to take the time to figure it out so that this way if his symptoms check-in I'm ready and he will not have to go through pain for the rest of his life. There's so much better than tumeric. there are many supplements that claim anti-inflammation but it all depends on what "il" it's targeting. a lot of supplements also that have anti-inflammatory effects that do work also / activate your immune system and you do not want that. mushrooms, you should never eat mushrooms because mushrooms / activate your immune system.

Everyone's a s is different and things will always affect them differently as I understand that. But I've also learned that there's a lot of things in common regardless of what affects us and what does not. I went from being on tnf blockers down to meloxicam once a day with diet and supplements.

this disease is a monster. Not only physically does it affect you but the mental damage it does. If you don't manage the mental side you will go crazy from being in pain 24/7 does a huge number on your brain.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan