Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Viable jobs with Spondylitis/Enthesitis pain? [Re: Alex140] #283569 09/07/19 01:37 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Alex140, who told you that? Was it, perhaps, some attorney you were consulting? When Social Security sends you for a consultative exam, they pay for it, not you. And when you have a long, well-documented medical history, consultative exams usually aren't even necessary. (Occasionally you will draw a bad judge who might order one, but it's not typical). If you absolutely must have that form filled out, you can just take the form to your own doctor to be filled out.

Re: Viable jobs with Spondylitis/Enthesitis pain? [Re: Alex140] #283572 09/09/19 12:06 AM
M
Mary Beth Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I would suggest that unless you are near retirement age, please try your best to find some combination of new work duties and medication that allows you to stay employed. Many people find going on disability to be depressing. My own point of view was always that I was in a lot of pain whether I was at home or at work, so staying home did not solve the pain issue. This was before I knew what was wrong and I've had good success with the biologics.

I can't stand for more than about 5 minutes so a job requiring me to be on my feet would not work. I can walk for miles though. I can sit as long as I get up every hour or so and move around. I can type if I have a good keyboard set up.

Have you tried to work with an employer? Many many companies now offer thorough ergonomic evaluations because they find otherwise the cost of paying for physical therapy for their damaged employees gets quite high. For myself a sit-stand workstation with a good chair was enough to allow me to work. Customer service jobs are quite common and while they are not fun, they usually require some typing but not the level of data entry.

What is your background? What is your education? Can you switch jobs? Get another degree? I know it seems intimidating but there are quite a few jobs (management, training, etc) that allow you to change position frequently, give you some flexibility in whether you are sitting or standing or walking, don't require intense amounts of typing, and may even allow you to work from home at times.

Last edited by Mary Beth; 09/09/19 12:06 AM.

46, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi
Re: Viable jobs with Spondylitis/Enthesitis pain? [Re: Winston] #283657 10/07/19 05:41 PM
A
Alex140 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
A
Originally Posted by Winston
Alex140, who told you that? Was it, perhaps, some attorney you were consulting? When Social Security sends you for a consultative exam, they pay for it, not you. And when you have a long, well-documented medical history, consultative exams usually aren't even necessary. (Occasionally you will draw a bad judge who might order one, but it's not typical). If you absolutely must have that form filled out, you can just take the form to your own doctor to be filled out.

Welp, too late for that. I really need to check back here more often. I paid $300 for a disability work assessment, which is supposedly a cheaper version of a FCE. It was garbage, barely tested my capabilities at all. Worst of all, they determined after the fact that I am totally capable of an 8 hour work shift, which is completely not true. So now I have "proof" that I can work when I can't.

I looked it up, and I can't find anything that says social security pays for the evaluation. It just says they pay for transportation to it.

Re: Viable jobs with Spondylitis/Enthesitis pain? [Re: Alex140] #283658 10/07/19 06:30 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I've sent you a private message.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto