Page 1 of 2 1 2
My Past Week AS and Cardiac #283582 09/17/19 12:34 AM
W
WhiteCell Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
W
My neck is my typical area of pain. So last Thursday I was short of breath with neck and shoulder pain the shortness of breath got my attention. I do slow breathing and in a couple minutes it almost goes away. I went in to local MD office and EKG was normal. Rheum suggested ice which helps but the sudden onset of the signs still is there. I feel very "taxed" when it is happening. I am going to my cardiologist tomorrow. The local MD and the RN for the cardio say anxiety but do more tests.

I think any shortness of breath is cardiac but family and MD here say anxiety (I have had unusual stress past two weeks). So here I go. It's been a really good summer and really I cannot complain. But the hospital, the tests, the IVs and the decisions upcoming are daunting. If I need to take time off work that's no fun for us.

Wife says don't tell the kids yet. Why worry them needlessly until we know more....

Thanks for listening.

Diagnosed AS 2001.
Started Remicade 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006.
Right eye DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
Right eye Ahmed Shunt 2016.
Right eye DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Cardiac Stent to RCA 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Re: My Past Week AS and Cardiac [Re: WhiteCell] #283584 09/17/19 04:50 AM
B
Barbara57 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
So hard to go through cardiac tests when you’re not sure if it’s anxiety or your heart. The tests themselves always make me anxious! I’ve been there. It has to get checked out and hopefully it’s nothing. You were helpful to me many years ago when I had SVT. And you are always such a great support to everyone on this forum. Good luck on your tests and let us know what you find out.

Barbara/Age 66. Diagnosed with SpA in 2009. Unable to take NSAIDs due to gastritis. Failed sulfasalazine, Humira, Actemra, Enbrel, Rituxan, Orencia and Xeljanz. Currently taking Cosentyx and prednisone.
Re: My Past Week AS and Cardiac [Re: WhiteCell] #283586 09/17/19 12:17 PM
FayeK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
You helped me so much with my recent concerns. I wish I could think of something helpful to say to you now. I keep thinking how stressful the unknown is. You'll know more soon and that should help some. I wish the very best possible outcome for you today.

You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.
Bye for now ~
Faye
Re: My Past Week AS and Cardiac [Re: WhiteCell] #283588 09/17/19 02:37 PM
D
DadCue Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
D
Sorry, probably can't be of any assistance however, I can relate to shortness of breath. I don't know what causes mine either. Why do you think it is cardiac? I always mention being SOB during visits to the doctor. I had LVH in the past which apparently has resolved once my blood pressure was controlled. A year or so later, I found myself in ICU with extensive, bilateral and multiple PE's. At the time, I told the doctor that I was slightly more short of breath but it wasn't that much more than usual.

At a recent visit I mentioned it again and my rheum ordered a chest x-ray to rule out interstitial lung disease secondary to reactive arthritis. I guess that was ruled out but the x-ray did show a tortuous aorta, atelectasis and DISH. By nature, I'm not an anxious person but I do get concerned when every time they look for stuff, they find stuff.

Personally, I think the SOB has something to do with inflammation. It did seem to be markedly better when I was on Actemra. Unfortunately, while on Actemra, I had a severe flare of uveitis so the ophthalmologist recommended Humira... after 4 doses, the SOB is worse than ever.

My GP just says it is likely "multifactorial".

Re: My Past Week AS and Cardiac [Re: WhiteCell] #283590 09/17/19 02:56 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
SOB is not always cardiac. I sometimes get SOB with flares. Best I've been able to determine, it's an inflammatory response unrelated to my heart or my lungs. I've had just about every cardio-pulmonary test in the world to confirm this. Importantly, my SOB does NOT get worse with exertion. It, in fact, seems to improve a bit with exertion, which more or less rules out a cardiac cause. My neurologist thinks inflammation is irritating my vagus nerve, which makes me experience air hunger.

Re: My Past Week AS and Cardiac [Re: WhiteCell] #283591 09/17/19 08:51 PM
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
I'm sorry, WC. You are in my prayers.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: My Past Week AS and Cardiac [Re: WhiteCell] #283595 09/18/19 11:15 PM
W
WhiteCell Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
W
So I am ok..I went in yesterday early morning and they found during a procedure that m right coronary artery was blocked. All the other arteries are fine. The MD placed two stents into the blocked artery and I'm back home without the pain and shortness of breath. Thanks for your thoughts Southern Moss

Last edited by WhiteCell; 09/18/19 11:19 PM.

Diagnosed AS 2001.

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
Re: My Past Week AS and Cardiac [Re: Winston] #283596 09/18/19 11:17 PM
W
WhiteCell Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
W
That was the hard part. But to a cardiac MD it's always cardiac. He fixed it and Im home....again. Another day to see the blue sky.

Diagnosed AS 2001.

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
Re: My Past Week AS and Cardiac [Re: WhiteCell] #283598 09/19/19 01:04 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
That's good news. Hang in there.

Re: My Past Week AS and Cardiac [Re: WhiteCell] #283600 09/19/19 09:38 PM
FayeK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Happy to hear you got to the cardiac doctor in a timely manner and are home already, doing well. Bet the kids are relieved but ticked you didn't tell them. HA! grin

You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.
Bye for now ~
Faye
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto