Print Thread
CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs #283653 10/06/19 07:44 AM
J
Jacruz Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
In my efforts to find alternative treatments that might allow me to one day go off meloxicam, I looked into CBD (cannabis derivative that does not get you "high"). I was hoping to use this as a complementary therapy to try to dose down on the mobic, but I found out that it is contraindicated, considered potentially unsafe. :-/
So that is disappointing. It is supposedly great for pain and inflammation both.
I wonder if anyone on here has tried CBD to treat their condition and how your experience was. My doctor also offered me a medical marijuana card, but I am assuming this would be the same deal--- I would need to stop my meds to do it. Also, both are expensive for me, where my medication is free.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Re: CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs [Re: Jacruz] #283654 10/06/19 11:17 PM
I
Imnotsure Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
Hi, I tried CBD oils and CBD isolate powder to vape and it causes me massive flare up as well as severe Costochondritis.

If you don't have the right receptors in your body for CBD it will wont work. Some Cannabis gives me a flare up but if I vape distilates I don't get a flare up. For AS it doesn't do anything for pain of inflammation for me. If you smoke enough of it you just kind of forget about it but it doesn't take it away. I do MMJ before bed so I can sleep.

I am on Meloxicam as well. I was on 2 biologics in the past but I've managed to get off them through diet and supplements. I'm working on getting off meloxicam as well. I am close to getting off of it.

All you can do at this point is to try it and see.

Last edited by Imnotsure; 10/06/19 11:18 PM.
Re: CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs [Re: Imnotsure] #283655 10/07/19 01:43 AM
J
Jacruz Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Thanks for sharing your experience!
That sounds awful. frown When you had the flare-up, were you also discontinuing meds or still taking them? Do you know what is the specific type that causes the flare-up or have any idea why?
Has diet and supplements helped? What diet and supplements are you using?
Thanks

Re: CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs [Re: Jacruz] #283659 10/07/19 06:39 PM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
We've had a MD speak on cannabis for AS at the Los Angeles Educ/Support Group, and I don't recall him saying that it was contraindicated. I do recall him saying that he believes it would be helpful and that some THC may also be needed to be effective. His slide deck is here: https://www.spondylitis.org/Portals...011%201622.pdf?ver=2018-10-15-161231-463

Hope that helps.

kindest,

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs [Re: RAHMBA] #283661 10/08/19 08:23 PM
J
Jacruz Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Thanks for the info!
Update: I'm fortunate to live in a state where cbd cannabis, medical marijuana and recreational marijuana are all legal, so it was easy to try it out. I got some free samples of CBD plant in capsules, and started with 25 mg. It is only supposed to last 4 hours or so though. I took it a couple times a day and also used a typical cbd salve if I noticed pain or stiffness. I also smoked a CBD joint with a tiny amount of thc in it one night, as thc is supposed to increase the effectiveness of the CBD. I tried the CBD for a couple days, taking a total of 100 mg, plus salve and joint. It's now been 4-5 days without Meloxicam and amazingly I'm not having much pain or stiffness at all. The salve worked very nicely for stiffness in the moment that I felt it. All this seems very promising. I mostly felt quite well and didn't find it made me sleepy, which is one side effect for some people. Unfortunately, it seems to have possibly triggered a migraine that I've had since last night. This may be my own reaction or a side effect, not sure. I wanted to take one more of the capsules to see how it affects the headache but I can't find the last one I had. (I attribute that to the thc 😑 lol)

Re: CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs [Re: Jacruz] #283662 10/08/19 08:59 PM
J
Jacruz Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
I found out that CBD is available in a patch that you wear for continual release over 4 days. Unfortunately, it is super expensive, so I won't be trying that, but that sounds like the ideal way to take it for chronic inflammation purposes to me.

Re: CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs [Re: Jacruz] #283663 10/09/19 11:05 AM
I
Imnotsure Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
Originally Posted by Jacruz
Thanks for the info!
Update: I'm fortunate to live in a state where cbd cannabis, medical marijuana and recreational marijuana are all legal, so it was easy to try it out. I got some free samples of CBD plant in capsules, and started with 25 mg. It is only supposed to last 4 hours or so though. I took it a couple times a day and also used a typical cbd salve if I noticed pain or stiffness. I also smoked a CBD joint with a tiny amount of thc in it one night, as thc is supposed to increase the effectiveness of the CBD. I tried the CBD for a couple days, taking a total of 100 mg, plus salve and joint. It's now been 4-5 days without Meloxicam and amazingly I'm not having much pain or stiffness at all. The salve worked very nicely for stiffness in the moment that I felt it. All this seems very promising. I mostly felt quite well and didn't find it made me sleepy, which is one side effect for some people. Unfortunately, it seems to have possibly triggered a migraine that I've had since last night. This may be my own reaction or a side effect, not sure. I wanted to take one more of the capsules to see how it affects the headache but I can't find the last one I had. (I attribute that to the thc 😑 lol)

Give another update in a week. This way the meloxicam is out if your system as its an accumulative drug. I really hope you have success with this. But if you're still having plus pain and inflammation after two or three weeks then that's awesome. And usually takes one to three weeks to see if something's really working. Fingers crossed for you.

Re: CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs [Re: Jacruz] #283668 10/16/19 07:01 PM
M
MichaelSean Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I've never tried CBD oil because the real thing is pretty easily available where I live. What I HAVE noticed ... and I've never found an explanation as to why ... is that while cannabis helped with my pain for a few hours, the next day it was so much worse. The only way I can explain it is that it felt like I was swollen on the inside. So for that reason my cannabis use is pretty limited.

Re: CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs [Re: MichaelSean] #283673 10/18/19 11:19 AM
I
Imnotsure Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I
Originally Posted by MichaelSean
I've never tried CBD oil because the real thing is pretty easily available where I live. What I HAVE noticed ... and I've never found an explanation as to why ... is that while cannabis helped with my pain for a few hours, the next day it was so much worse. The only way I can explain it is that it felt like I was swollen on the inside. So for that reason my cannabis use is pretty limited.

You're more pain the next day because your body is reacting to The plant tannins. I was the same way with cannabis. It would cause me more inflammation the next day and severe sternum pain. I had to vape THC distillates to avoid the reaction.

Anyway this is good news for you because it sounds like you can control AS very easily with diet. Some people are very food sensitive with AS symptoms such as myself.

Re: CBD contraindicated with NSAIDs [Re: Jacruz] #283679 10/22/19 01:30 AM
J
Jacruz Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
J
Hi,

I did not do a 3 week trial of the CBD, only about 5 days. This suggests it is effective for me somewhat because normally I know immediately if I have missed one dose of my medicine, but on day 5 I was pretty stiffness and back pain free. Unfortunately I did later find that capsule and took it and the headache returned, so this is probably the end of this experiment for me for now. I am out of my samples and experienced some side effects.
I am continuing exploring complementary therapies. Right now I am doing acupuncture, so perhaps that will help.
If money were not an obstacle I would probably continue experimenting witht he CBD, and see if I could get the headaches to improve with acupuncture or other low-side-effect treatments. But given that the stuff is kind of expensive, I am calling it quits for now.
Good luck to everyone. I am interested in hearing how marijuana or cbd works for people who are using it.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto