Print Thread
Gymnastics #282362 01/09/19 11:46 PM
V
Veridicalride Offline OP
First time visitor
OP Offline
First time visitor
V
Hello! My 13 year old daughter was just diagnosed with AS last week. She is a competitive gymnast and after 8 weeks of xrays, CT Scan, MRI (they suspected fracture in back from vault) but blood work revealed she has AS. The doctor said it was caught early and no damage. She is starting on Humira this week and he told her she could return to gymnastics but listen to her body. This is all new to us and just wondering how realistic is really is for her to continue her passion? We are entering competition season and she was thrilled to get the ok to return and not miss out on her entire season, but I don't know how realistic it is for her future. Has sports been ok for most of you?

Re: Gymnastics [Re: Veridicalride] #284115 03/08/20 06:10 AM
E
Ericsmom Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
E
You might take a look at some of my other posts. My son was diagnosed at age 11 and has used Enbrel or Humira since then. He is now 24. These meds were like miracle drugs for him. He was able to go back to soccer as well as run cross country in high school. He ended up playing NCAA soccer in college. I will say his AS probably has limited him somewhat. He always had to do extra stretching before games and he had a hard time coming off the bench as he would be stiff for a few minutes. he rarely sat during games, choosing to keep moving when not on the field. His rheumy believes his AS is well controlled in part because he is so active. We never limited his activity but let him decide his limitations. Only time will tell what your daughter can accomplish so I say just let her go and see what she is comfortable with.

In 13 years, Eric has never had any drug side effects. Unfortunately currently his immune compromised system allowed him to pick up a fungal meningitis for which he is now hospitalized. He will not be able to use any immune suppressant drugs in the future and will have to take anti-fungal meds the rest of his life. This is an unusual complication and one we didn't anticipate, but I guess there are always risks. Just weigh the pros and cons with your doctor and stay informed. Best of luck

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan