Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Valley fever with meningitis [Re: Ericsmom] #284147 03/20/20 06:08 AM
M
momchrisgr Online
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
Originally Posted by Ericsmom
Eric was readmitted to the Hospital last night. The meningitis is causing hearing loss and continued severe headaches. They did another MRI of his brain with contrast this time. We will have the results this morning.

What were the results of MRI? How is Eric? Did you leave hospital?

Re: Valley fever with meningitis [Re: Ericsmom] #284158 03/23/20 08:08 PM
E
Ericsmom Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
Eric was released on Wed. only because there were suspected cases of COVID-19 in the hospital and they did not want him there anymore. He has moved in with us and is stable for now. He sleeps 15+ hours a day and we have to monitor his temperature and keep it down with tylenol/ibuprofen. He is on the maximum dosage of the anti-fungal med diflucan. His latest MRI showed inflammation in the meninges at the back of his head, which confirms his diagnosis of cocci meningitis- Valley Fever induced meningitis. His first appointment with his long-term Infectious Disease doctor was a phone appointment and she will monitor his progress remotely for now. He will continue with a high dose anti-fungal until they get the infection under control and will then drop to a maintenance level for the rest of his life. His thinking is really fuzzy right now and he is very lethargic. He is supposed to graduate from his grad program in May and hopefully can still do so since his school has gone to on-line. Right now he has a hard time reading or focusing so not sure if he will be able to do the work or not. I worry about being near him as my job is considered "essential" so I am still working in an office- we are taking extreme measures to separate ourselves so I am just being very careful. My husband retired in February and is 65 so is trying to stay home to minimize contact, but ...get this....he was recently impaneled on a Federal Grand Jury that meets once a week for the next year in downtown LA and IS NOT CANCELED. He just received direction that the Grand Juries will continue to meet in downtown LA- where he has to walk through homeless encampments to get to the courts. He is asking for a waiver because we are so worried he will bring COVID-19 home with him.

With all that is going on right now, there are so many of you who are immuno compromised and who must be constantly worrying. I hope everyone is able to stay isolated and safe!!!

Re: Valley fever with meningitis [Re: Ericsmom] #284160 03/24/20 06:20 AM
M
momchrisgr Online
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
We are living great changes since we are obliged to do everything online and in distance. From one point of view, this is good for immuno compromised or for those who are in pain and cannot walk...
Hope you find strength

Re: Valley fever with meningitis [Re: Ericsmom] #284161 03/24/20 02:12 PM
theyoungestmuse Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I have followed Eric's story and really feel for you guys While you and your family sound strong, I hope your family will get a break soon to help you feel safer and more secure. And that Eric's infection will go into remission. Is fluconazole the only antifungal he has been on? Professional curiosity.
Danielle

25 years a pharmacist HLAB27+(thanks dad!)iritis at 17, plantar fasciitis at 22, sacroiliitis at 25,first image at 31,diagnosis of AS at 48(hello medical community!!) it's all been downhill since (Celebrex,Trazodone,Tramadol,benztropine(antispasmodic), high Omega3,A&D to tame immune system,quercetin,bromelain) previous meds were Enbrel Humira Cosentyx, Simponi
Re: Valley fever with meningitis [Re: Ericsmom] #284178 04/02/20 07:53 PM
E
Ericsmom Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
E
At this point Fluconazole is the only antifungal med they have used, although that may change. They just upped his dosage to the max due to continuing fevers. The fevers seem to be in better control over the last week but the headaches, neck stiffness, nausea and extreme exhaustion continue- he is lucky if he has 2 hours a day when he can be out of bed and a little productive. He is not eating much and has lost a lot of weight. He can get Ensure's down but otherwise has to force himself to eat. I worry a lot about his mental outlook as the outlook for this is so uncertain. We just go day by day and are here to support him and love him. Thanks everyone for all of the nice comments. Stay home and stay safe!

Re: Valley fever with meningitis [Re: Ericsmom] #284180 04/03/20 08:44 PM
S
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
Ericsmom, my thoughts and prayers are with y'all. Sending air hugs your way.

Ginny - 58 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis, both currently in remission
unicompartmental knee replacements: right-June 2014, left-Aug 2018
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Celebrex as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Culturelle probiotic, Melatonin (as needed)
Re: Valley fever with meningitis [Re: Ericsmom] #284183 04/08/20 05:30 PM
FayeK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Thank you for sharing Eric's story. Peace be with you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2