Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: KristineCallender] #284152 03/21/20 12:57 AM
S
SadieP1989 Online
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
This is all so overwhelming. I've had a cough/sore throat and cold symptoms for 3 weeks now so I postponed my last infliximab infusion, which I would have done before this pandemic anyway. Now I'm worried for obvious reasons about getting it done, and my throat is not getting any better frown. I've been taking my methotrexate and NSAID though. I'm very thankful we are able to pull together and support each other with this information.

๐Ÿ’žEvery day is a gift ๐Ÿ’ž
Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: KristineCallender] #284153 03/21/20 03:46 PM
W
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Has an MD looked at your throat? That is where I would begin.

Diagnosed AS 2001.Remicade 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006 > DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
>Ahmed Shunt 2016 >DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Cardiac Stent to RCA 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: KristineCallender] #284154 03/21/20 05:25 PM
A
achala Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
I would also check humidity levels where you stay, every 10 min have a sip of water and gargle throat with salt couple of times daily. If you can have a shot of vodka the old school Caucasian way;) or from what I understand bourbon in your parts...

diagnosed with AS April 2018, starting with cervical pain/stiffness; Aug 2018 enthesitis/bursitis left Achilles
diagnosed with AAU Nov 2017 (7 flares so far)
Eosinophilic Gastritis
Sulfasalazine 3g 08.2018-05.2019 (worked for AAU & peripheral)
Supplements:C/D, omega 3/Probiotic/ Mediterranean NSD/curcumin
swimming/yoga/pilates
Predonisone in case of another AAU flare
Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: KristineCallender] #284155 03/22/20 03:13 AM
S
SadieP1989 Online
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
S
The doctor's here are banned from seeing patients for routine or elective things, and it's really not a big deal, but I have been thinking it's lasted long enough that I should at least call the rheumatologist and ask. I think humidity is a good thing to check on actually also, it gets really dry here! That's a great idea. Thanks guys!

๐Ÿ’žEvery day is a gift ๐Ÿ’ž
Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: KristineCallender] #284162 03/24/20 02:24 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W

Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: Winston] #284165 03/24/20 11:38 PM
2789 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Originally Posted by Winston

I read the article. It is very interesting. The sentence that is questionable to me is:

"Biologics and JAK inhibitors have a somewhat greater risk of infection, and many physicians would recommend stopping these if someone develops COVID-19, although we don't have much data to guide us," he said.

It seems to me that stopping the biologics after developing covid-19 would be too late. Wouldn't the biologic still be in a person's system long after the covid-19 has run its course? This appears to me that it is all speculation right now without any proof either way regarding the vulnerability of the population on biologics, but I am compelled to read as much about it as I am able.

Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: KristineCallender] #284166 03/25/20 12:40 AM
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Winston, I agree, I think we should encourage people with SpA to check in. with or without COVID19. to see how people are doing.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: KristineCallender] #284167 03/26/20 01:38 PM
W
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Just fyi: One thing I've done after reading this article, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/magazine/coronavirus-family.html (which is the most informative article I've read regarding the actual symptoms of coronavirus infection, by the way), is purchase a pulse oximeter for use at home.

Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: Winston] #284168 03/27/20 03:31 PM
PsSpa_M_1989 Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Originally Posted by Winston

Thank you, Winston, for sharing that article. There is some evidence that Vitamin D can modulate cytokine regulation and prevent critical manifestations of various infections. Before the advent of COVID-19, one research study [1] found that Vitamin D deficiency is an independent risk factor for mortality among critically ill patiens; another research study [2] found that more than 60% of sepsis patients (a possible complication of COVID-19) had Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency correlated with mortality, as did older age.

However, in a research study from last year [3] where very high concentration Vitamin D supplementation was given to critically ill patients with Vitamin D deficiency at presentation, found no clinical effect of increased Vitamin D serum levels. Actually the trial ended early as the Vitamin D group had a slightly higher mortality than the placebo group.

This may suggest different things:

- Vitamin D acts pre-preemptively and long-term, in the acute phase it is too late?
- People with sufficient Vitamin D in general lead healthy lives and less frequently end up at the ICU?
... for example, spend time outdoors and receive Vitamin D from the sun?
... or, eat Vitamin D rich foods, such as eggs, salmon, and fortified milk, which have other health benefits?

Anecdotally, the seasonality of infections in the northern hemisphere - as opposed to the relatively stable annual rate of infections in countries closer to the equator, may suggest that it is better to take Vitamin D supplementation than not to take it, especially during the winter.

[1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4449478/
[2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6377223/
[3] https://acphospitalist.org/weekly/archives/2019/12/18/2.htm

Background: 30 yr old male
Symptoms: Ps (scalp, elbows, knees) since 2000; PsSpa (neck, sacroiliac joint) since 2015
Dx: Osteoarthritis Aug, 2017; PsSpa Nov, 2018
Treatment: Meloxicam, Nov 2018-Jan 2019; Naproxen, Jan 2019-Jun 2019; Humira, Jun 2019-Present
Re: Coronavirus and Spondyloarthritis: Your Questions, [Re: KristineCallender] #284169 03/28/20 12:36 AM
W
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
Good thread. So....the last week my DW was in the hospital. The Medical Center and all of Seattle are in lock down. The hospital does not allow visitors except for people who are dying, need their caretaker to control out of control behavior or at discharge. Screenings increased each day I came to the hospital. The hotel where I stayed had 10 guests in a 400 person hotel. No food service, no fresh brewed coffee. The highlight was I got my pizza in 10 minutes from Dominos'. Now home I wanted to add my 2 cents.

For decades Chinese have been accustomed to cuisine experiments. The most recent has been called the period of "wild taste". SARS arrived from a civet who had been infected by a bat. A diner consumed the civet became ill and in the elevator the Metropole Hotel vomited. And SARS was borne. This follows MERS H1N1 and no Covid 19. All RNA virus which means they replicate very rapidly like building a house of cards on a sandpile at the beach and the top card jump to another species. In the current Pandemic, the virus is highly contagious and unfortunately, as we all know, lethal.

The seminal book on the subject is Spillover by David Quamen.

Our response to CoVid 19 will be in a word individual. Personally without additional data, AS and the biologic mitigators of TNF do not in and of themselves portend larger or higher risk of infection however, and it's important to say, not everyone agrees. Personal hygiene and avoiding sick contacts is the primary method to avoid contagion.

Large cohort studies failed to discover a link between serious infections and the use of anti TNF blockers. In fact alleviating immobility, decreasing pain and suffering led to many and significant gains in the lives of people who suffer from AS. That said, and again, if you suffer from cardiac, pulmonary, endocrine your risk is higher. The reason for this is central to how an RNA virus works. It is imperfectly created, has many coding errors and unlike DNA (think Herpes) cannot sustain it's own growth...so this cunning little demon attacks new people and creates more chaos. This is why the minute we think only elderly people are susceptible the virus changes and jumps to younger people other wise healthy (like SARS) and starts affecting - and killing- them. More lives more age groups means more time alive for the virus. It does not hate us, it's simple math....and the opportunity the virus finds. So all of this long winded mean...the card dealer has jokers in the deck.

It's not predictable as much as we would like. So the advice remains. Avoid sick contacts, Don't travel. Eat a healthy diet and sanitize your home, car and personal items every day. Before something gets into your home (yes mail) it gets wiped down or sprayed with lysol. If you are ill have groceries necessary items brought to your door by friends, when they leave you sanitize the items in front of your house and discard the bag outside. Wash your hands and arms.

It is very difficult to watch my colleagues risk their lives doing what we do. They are daring courageous people.

Stay Safe.

Last edited by WhiteCell; 03/28/20 12:43 AM.

Diagnosed AS 2001.Remicade 2002 - 5mg/kg every 7 weeks.
Right Eye Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006 > DSEK Cornea Transplant 2009.
>Ahmed Shunt 2016 >DSEK Cornea Transplant 2016.
Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Radio Frequency Ablation 2008.
Cardiac Stent to RCA 9/2020

ICU RN - Seattle, WA
~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto