Lung Complications? #283377 07/16/19 04:55 PM
N
n13tzsch3 Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
N
Hello,

I'm a 33 year old male with AS for the past 5-6 years. Thankfully, after bouts of agony over the years, it's currently well-managed with naproxen and a ketogenic diet.

My question is this: I have read extensively about the extra-articular manifestations of AS, in particular lung complications; namely, pulmonary fibrosis. I'm concerned because research demonstrates that lung changes occur very early in the disease. I desperately want to avoid end-stage fibrosis in later life.

I'm wondering if anybody here has experience with lung complications related to AS or can help to ease my fear about this potential complication. My rheumatologist is not particularly helpful with these questions because he assumes I'm overreacting.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Lung Complications? [Re: n13tzsch3] #283422 07/28/19 05:27 PM
V
VickyMcK Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
V
I’ve have ongoing costochondritis since my 20’s and I’m now 67. This was my first symptom! It took another 35 years to find out I had AS! The costochondritis affects your cartilage around the ribs and I can’t take deep breaths! They always told me the only help was NSAIDs, but I can’t take these, so I suffer with breathing and the pain. I do take pain pills, not just for this lung problem but for all the neck and back pain from the effects of AS and my spine! I try deep breathing exercises but I hurt so much that it’s so hard. You’re young so keep up deep breathing exercises now since you were lucky ento be diagnosed at an early age!! Get a good rheumatologist and read all you can about this disease and this Spondylitis.org is a fantastic site. Join a group if you can as other experiences help your knowledge!!

VickyMcK
Re: Lung Complications? [Re: n13tzsch3] #284311 06/19/20 08:34 PM
J
jpwilson Offline
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
I am 39 and have lung complications. I recently had a chest x ray which shows scaring of lung tissue. It’s hell. Horrible pain that I’m taking tramadol and Tylenol for. I just started Taltz med. I have had this disease for over 20 years. Each year it’s like a new box from hell opens.