Print Thread
AS and vertigo #284484 10/16/20 05:11 PM
S
sloth Offline OP
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
S
Long time member here, have not posted in years. Glad this is still here.
Have any of you developed dizziness and/or vertigo? I started having sensation of foggy head about a year ago, then occasional episode of vertigo. In past 2 months, this has increased in frequency, and today the vertigo is positional and lasted since 2 am. Blood work from GP was normal. I have seen an ENT doc, thinking ear issue. After trying different meds, going for an MRI next week. I want to contact him about including neck (don't know if that is possible). So this is why I am asking if you have any experience with this. Thanks.

sloth
Re: AS and vertigo [Re: sloth] #284485 10/17/20 11:53 PM
W
Winston Online
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I suffer from frequent vertigo. I usually have a bad spell (debilitating vertigo lasting more than a week) every August, which makes me think it's related to allergies/sinuses. I have less severe spells at other times of the year. I've seen a neurologist for it, who referred me to a physical therapist who specializes in vertigo. When I have a spell, I can walk in to his office without an appointment and without seeing a doctor first. He performs the Epley maneuvers on me, which help to shorten the duration of the spell.

I have no idea if the vertigo is related to my AS. It definitely could be genetic, as my mother also suffers from it. My mother does not have AS but does have IBD; so I likely inherited the HLA-B27 gene from her. She recently had an ENT open her nasal sinuses (I think they literally drilled a new hole in her skull through the nose), and she claims that has improved her symptoms. I have to be careful to take antihistamines continuously during allergy season to keep fluid out of my ears. That seems to help some.

Good luck. Vertigo truly sucks.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto