Print Thread
Pillow Recommendations?
#284680 03/10/21 01:28 AM
S
First time visitor
OP Offline
First time visitor
S
I figured this would be a sympathetic group to ask. I am predominantly a side sleeper. Usually i start on my back to relax, with and without a pillow, and then roll over to a side. I've tried NUMEROUS pillows over the years. Latex foam, shredded foam, contour foam, down alternatives, cooling foam with a curve for side sleepers... and i always end up reverting back to my 10-15 year old sleep innovations memory foam pillow. dense, heavy, but soft and comfortable and won't compress. Now it seems it's reaching the end of it's life (well, surpassed it already actually) and the neck pains are starting to rear their ugly head again. Now i was looking to just buy a new one, but it seems they're only available through amazon, and many recent reviews have stated it's a completely different pillow now. different branding, different feel. So before i go drop a stupid amount of money on a tempur-pedic pillow, i thought i'd see if any of y'all had a good recommendation. I definitely prefer the heavy density of a tempur type foam, but am open to other suggestions.

thanks in advance!

Re: Pillow Recommendations?
smallerrock #284681 03/10/21 01:55 AM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Sorry, no great recommendation. I can related. I do the exact same thing at night with a very old pillow. I start on my back to relax, with and without a pillow, and then roll over to a side with the old pillow. I haven't found another pillow that I prefer. I've been tempted to bring the pillow when traveling. I do bring it when traveling by car and I have extra space in the car. The label is too old to make out what it is made from. it's not a memory foam. I think it's the height that makes the difference for me, keeping my neck in fair alignment with the rest of my spine while on my back or side.

I'm not sure that helps :-)

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.
smallerrock #284682 03/10/21 01:41 PM
W
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
W
I like the latex foam pillows and mattresses from Brooklyn Bedding.

smallerrock #284683 03/10/21 01:45 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor

smallerrock #284684 03/11/21 03:52 AM
M
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
M
I use a memory foam contoured pillow but because I’m very petite, I use the shallower side of the contour.

I tend to buy the cheaper ones that feel a little mushier. They work for me.

I’m a side sleeper. My neck is awful, almost no range of motion. I take that darned pillow with me everywhere. When we fly, it is almost my entire carry on luggage unfortunately. But it’s the only thing I can sleep on.

46, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi
smallerrock #284699 03/24/21 02:52 AM
J
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
J
Buy a soft 100% goose down pillow (no feather - just down). I bought my wife one for her birthday and she loves it, but I paid $200 for a single pillow.

Dx w/ AS in 1985. HLA-B27+. Left total hip replacement in 1998, lost 2" of height due to osteoporosis. Relevant meds include Remicade, Oxycontin, Percocet, Lyrica, Soma.7 hour spine fusion surgery for cervical spondylotic myelopathy and radiculopathy but have residual myelopathy. I have generalized osteoarthritis and have worn out hips, knees, big toes, and some fingers are fused or growing bones. Disabled since 2015. Chronic pain patient on a high dose of opioids. Live in zero gravity chair.
smallerrock #284704 03/27/21 02:21 AM
B
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
B
I’m a side sleeper too. I’ve gone through dozens of pillows over the years. Last year I gave in and decided to spend a little more on a pillow than I normally would. After doing a ton of research, I decided to buy the Layla Kapok Pillow. It’s highly recommended for side sleepers and it’s customizable (you can add or remove foam). You have 120 nights to try it and if you don’t like it, you can return. Personally it’s made a world of difference for me. I bought a queen size and a king size, I keep one slightly firmer than the other. I hope this helps and good luck!

Ankylosing Spondylitis and Lupus.
12 surgeries and counting

Dog mom of 3 rescues laugh

smallerrock #284707 03/27/21 04:44 PM
L
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
L
I'm a back sleeper. A couple of months ago I decided to buy an expensive pillow (and also a new bed/mattress). Mostly out of frustration because of yet another night with pain. I've bought the Tempur(-pedic) Symphony pillow. It has a side for back sleepers and a side for side sleepers. But I'm not convinced it was a good choice. Yes, the material and shape of the pillow are very high quality. It's dense and heavy so it doesn't move around a lot, you'll be very stable in bed. But I think I need a much flatter pillow. This one is quite bulky. I've read somewhere that AS patients are better off with a very thin pillow. I think there might be some truth to it.

Medication: Arcoxia 60mg as needed
No official dx yet (no visible fusion of SI joints on x-rays)
smallerrock #284741 05/03/21 01:47 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
I use a MyPillow and it works wonderfully.

Carrie
Small business owner, 50 / mother of 5, Fort Worth, Texas
Remicade, lunesta, Folic Acid, MTX
Undifferented spondylopathy HLA-B27+ (onset 2007- DXed 2008) with associated uveitis, psoriasis
EPI and IBS - gastritis due to NSAIDs
Right Hip replacement 2017 with subsequent 4" heterotopic ossification (removed 2019)

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan, RyanMiyamoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard