Print Thread
Bowel symptom
#285048 09/15/22 03:44 PM
A
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
A
I think I have just figured out a pattern of flares and symptoms and was wondering if anyone else experiences similar.

After a good summer of generally feeling well (no major issues) September seems to have brought on a bit of a flare. I am on Methotrexate and Taltz. I am generally feeling tired, some achy joints, my Achilles is acting up…the usual suspects. I have also had some bowel/gut symptoms. Lots of intestinal discomfort (gas, bloating) and now having bowels with lots of mucous.

I was just looking back on my calendar because it was the fall last year when I had my GP send me to a gastroenterologist for similar symptoms. I had a colonoscopy and nothing of note was found.

I think this all may be related to my flare. I was reading a bit about sub clinical GI findings in AS but not sure what the symptoms of that might be.

Can anyone relate? Would this be “sub clinical” GI symptoms?

Need to get in to see my Rheum.

Re: Bowel symptom
Awnie1301 #285049 09/15/22 11:54 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Hi Awnie1301, I believe that the more severe the AS flare, the more likely I will flare in other ways as well such as uveitis, ulcerative colitis, and skin issues.

I understand there are some treatments for AS that also address IBD. some meds have some correlation with gi flares. but it sounds like you don't have full IBD. but still worth talking with your doc about med choices.

To me, I think mucus is a early sign of UC flare. UC is horrible. so I take it seriously and double my anti-inflammatory lifestyle actions such as:

diet (reduce inflammatory foods and for the gut eliminate seeds, broccoli/cauliflower, raw vegis. reduce processed sugars and processed flour/foods. increase anti-inflammatory foods such as turmeric, ginger.)

sleep -not too little, too much.

activity - not too little, too much.

stress - not too much

hope that helps.

AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan 

Link Copied to Clipboard