Hi, Stuart:

ESR is also called "sed(imentation) rate" and it is considered a key measure of inflammation. CRP might be a better test, but since You have AS Your physician should order BOTH tests, at least at first. And best if the test is done while disease is active, if possible, as there can be wide fluctuations in the numbers.

winelover answered about DMARD drugs; these can be important, as an adjunct to diet, but I counsel always to avoid NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs); very bad for anyone with AS, long-term.


Nota Bene: I am not a medical doctor, and my views do not represent the opinions of the SAA
AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS