Ubik,

You are so right about the lack of nutrition in affordable foods. I rarely eat beef and only occasionally eat chicken. I even more rarely eat out. My pantry is stocked with mostly generic or stored-labeled foods. The following have added to my food budget (based on NSD and able to have dairy products, and reducing sugar):

fresh vegetables (zucchini, kale, carrots, broccoli, celery)
fresh fruit (apples, grapes)
dried fruit (prunes, raisins, cranberries, shredded coconut)
protein (almonds, coconut flour, eggs, chicken, pork sausage,
cheese)
oils/fats (olive oil, vegetable oil, coconut milk)

But, my budget is lowered by the removal of many items (mostly low-nutrition or empty calories anyways):

snacks (chips, pop corn, peanut butter, granola, candy, bananas)
drinks (sodas, fruit juice) I never drank alcohol anyways
purchased foods (pizza, hamburgers, pasta, fried chicken)
desserts (pudding, sweets, cake, pie)
breakfast (cereals, pastries, bagels, cinnamon rolls)

So, all in all, my food budget isn't too much more on NSD, but more time is required for all food preparation. My wife and I bake bread, cookies, and muffins with coconut flour or almond flour (I grind almonds to make flour). I also make my own almond butter. The adjustment took a while, but it's now just an accepted part of our lifestyle.

--Greg

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006, with HLA-B27+, SIJ totally fused, bone spurs in back, and extreme rib/hip pain. Other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage. Now getting good results with no-starch diet.