Sean, I agree that our opinions on the dietary approach are very different. I prefer to rely on interventions backed by research showing their efficacy and safety. And yes, I know the stats.

I don't need to have experience with the diet to post about it. I post about it to clarify misconceptions - that opinions and experiences, wishes and hopes, are not the same as valid scientific data and evidence. My own personal experience & opinions are irrelevant on the topic. I'm here to remind people that any support of the diet is not based on scientifically established fact.

If you went out there and expressed an opinion that Humira was bad it would be just that - your opinion. There is evidence behind Humira's claims of efficacy that can be used by anyone weighing the decision to use it or not use it. Opinions are more or less irrelevant unless they are solicited - but if solicited your opinion would be valid as anyone's would be; you just couldn't claim personal experience as the reason for that opinion. But people have a lot of reasons for the opinions they hold - their personal experience is just one part of it.

You may not be aware of how judgmental your post was. You see, I am also a parent - of an 11 year old and a 13 year old. My 11 year old DOES have an autoimmune diagnosis - Crohn's disease. She was diagnosed a week after her 3rd birthday but was symptomatic starting in her (exclusively breastfed) infancy. There is a lot of evidence regarding the efficacy and safety of all the medications she has been on over the years.

Lucy's first med post-diagnosis was prednisolone - obviously a scary one but given the state of her health at that time and the known remission-inducing capability of steroids for this disease, the choice was not a hard one for me. Fortunately she was able to taper relatively quickly and did not suffer any untoward side effects in her growth & development (or otherwise.)

At that time she also started an immunomodulator, 6-MP, which worked well for years and then started to fail, so was augmented with a 5-ASA medication (mesalamine) and a delayed-release steroid, Entocort, specifically formulated for IBD. Those things didn't do so great either so we brought out the big guns and started Remicade about 2.5 years ago. It has been AMAZING for her. I did all my homework on Remicade - I started reading the scholarly work on it years before she went on it, because I knew it was pretty likely she'd eventually require anti-TNF therapy (at diagnosis her disease was categorized as moderate-to-severe.) It was a VERY informed decision. The possible serious side effects are scary but thankfully very very rare. Fortunately she has done well on Remicade - great efficacy and no complications.

Obviously the LSD/NSD diet is pushed for IBD as for SpA, if not more. I would have LOVED to use a dietary approach. I own, and have read, Sinclair's book, believe it or not. However, there was simply no way to justify even a few weeks of a dietary approach. In the face of months of delay to the diagnosis, frequent bloody diapers and a child with daily stomach pain, we needed an approach supported by data. Sure, all the drugs had potential risks but they were outweighed by the potential benefits, and in the end, those have been good decisions.

So please do not think that you know what you would do if your child had one of these diseases. It is easy to blithely say you would do the diet first. Maybe you would feel differently if you had to change a few bloody diapers.

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates